Author Topic: 230SL Ignition switch removal  (Read 7578 times)

n/a

230SL Ignition switch removal
« on: February 07, 2007, 11:48:59 »
My sisters 1967 230SL is having problems with the ignition switch, if you jiggle the key while the car is running, it will stop. I believe the problem is with old contacts in the ignition switch and I am trying to replace it.
My questions is how do I remove the mechanical key portion of the ignition switch from the dash and steering column.   I cannot see how the steering lock shaft is connected from the steering column and the ignition key assembly.   I also don’t see any threaded bezel that retains the ignition key assembly in the dash.

If  I unbolt the steering column and drop it down,  will the steering lock shaft just slip out?

I see how the electrical switch assembly is bolted to the mechanical key, but getting back there to unbolt looks very tight, with the heating ducts in the way.

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

merrill

• Platinum
  • USA, TX, Austin
Re: 230SL Ignition switch removal
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2007, 12:06:14 »
so, I had a similar problem with my 6 230. I bought the electrical switch part and swapped it out.  had the same problem

I ended up replacing the entire ignition switch assy which includes the lock mechanism for the steering. On the newer mb's you can replace the tumbler mechanism in the ign sw assy.  you will need to contact your dealer or mb for more info.

so, you can try to replace the electrical sw.  it is easiest if you remove the instrument cluster gages.  then access is easiest.

To remove the whole ign switch, I removed all the instrument gages, and unbolted the steering colum and anything eles I could find,
with some leverage I was able to r/r the swtich.  

Plan on a day to take this task on
matt

Matt
Austin Tx
66 230 sl - "white"
78 300 D - Blue
98 C230
Matt
Austin Tx
66 230 sl - "white"
78 300 D - Blue
98 C230

n/a

« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2007, 14:38:29 »
Hi Matt,

Thanks for the reply.  I went through the glove box and then radio to see what was behind the ignition key.
When you dropped the steering column, how did the steering lock shaft come apart from the steering colume and ignition key assmbly.

Thanks,

Naj ✝︎

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • United Kingdom, Surrey, New Malden
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2007, 17:16:16 »

quote:
When you dropped the steering column, how did the steering lock shaft come apart from the steering colume and ignition key assmbly.

There is a 'C' clamp with a 6mm bolt.You will see it after the instruments and stg column are out of the way.

naj

68 280SL
68 280SL

al_lieffring

« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2007, 17:47:19 »
I have found on 230sl's that when this happens it is neither the key tumbler or the electrical switch but the steering lock mechanism in between. The electrical switch is available seperatly, but the steering lock and key tumbler come as an assembly (electrical switch included)
The key tumbler is held in by the  chrome bezel and can only be removed by drilling out two steel pins that are driven through the crome bezel into the aluminum lock housing.
Not the same replacable design found on the 280sl.

The lock housing is held into the steering column by a clamp with a 6mm bolt behind the speedometer.

The column needs to be taken loose by removing two 8mm nuts behind the gague cluster. These hold the column to the dash with a U clamp.
Also the 6mm bolts on the base of the colunm at the firewall need to be taken loose to get the column to drop down enough to remove lock assembly from the steering column.

Al

66 230sl
113-042-10-014715
904/396 blue, Ivory Tex
condition: not-as-rusty-as-before-bucket

n/a

« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2007, 22:14:30 »
Hi Al,

So you think that replacing just the electrical portion might not solve the problem. How could the steering lock shaft cause it, a weak string or sticking shaft?

Thanks,

al_lieffring

« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2007, 13:31:28 »
quote:
Originally posted by Sisters_230SL

Hi Al,

So you think that replacing just the electrical portion might not solve the problem. How could the steering lock shaft cause it, a weak string or sticking shaft?

Thanks,

It has been my experience that the bolt mechanism, when worn, won't fully turn the electrical contacts when the key is turned. Not to say that the switch doesn't ever go bad.
I ended up taking 3 old locks apart to get the components to make one good one for my SL. one for the dead bolt, one had a good switch and another for the lock tumbler and keys.

Al

66 230sl
113-042-10-014715
904/396 blue, Ivory Tex
condition: not-as-rusty-as-before-bucket

CarlG

« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2007, 14:57:00 »
I had the same problem last year and replacing the electrical switch cured it.

1967 230sl (stick)