Author Topic: 250SL 4-speed manual prob / Speedo issue  (Read 3148 times)

n/a

250SL 4-speed manual prob / Speedo issue
« on: February 06, 2007, 11:07:16 »
Got a couple of issues for the esteemed group here...

Had these issues since I got the car from my dad, and this is the first time I've had a chance to really look into 'em...

1) The car shifts just fine into 1st, 3rd, and 4th, but when shifting into 2nd it grinds about 75% of the time.  Regardless of whether I double-clutch, am upshifting, downshifting, match revs, take it slow, bang it in, it will grind going into gear.  Every other gear works just fine... Any suggestions, ideas?

2) The speedo in the car works only intermittently at best... It will bounce kind of aimlessly in any gear except 4th.  4th gear it appears to work just fine, and the rest of the gears it works if you get off the gas and are decelerating with the trans in gear.

Please help?!

(Political comments edited by moderator)
« Last Edit: February 06, 2007, 12:23:54 by Tom »

George Davis

Re: 250SL 4-speed manual prob / Speedo issue
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2007, 14:47:00 »
Both problems are probably related to the nut on the transmission output shaft being loose.  Tightening the nut is not a trivial job, but many have done it.  The speedo drive gear is clamped by the pressure of the nut, if the nut is loose the speedo drive gear can spin free on the shaft and you get erratic readings.  The same nut also holds first and second gear in place, and a loose nut allows excessive end-play which (if you're lucky) is the only cause of the grinding.  Tightening the nut may solve both problems.

If you're not so lucky, the excessive end-play may have allowed a flat key inside the transmission to disengage from a slot it fits in, in which case the trans must be disassembled to fix.  It's also possible the second gear synchro ring is shot.

The nut is a slotted nut, requires a special socket, which many members have made themselves.  The driveshaft must be disconnected and flex disk removed, along with the transmission support plate and rear motor mount to get to the nut.  Things to replace while doing this job are:
rear transmission seal
flex disk and all nuts/bots (they come in the kit)
shifter bushings
rear motor mount if necessary.

This is sort of double the work, but you could disassemble everything, tighten the nut (I use loctite on it), and reassemble TEMPORARILY with the old flex disk and then test drive it a day or two to see if that fixed it.  Then go back in there and replace the old flex disk with the new one.  This reflects a strong bias on my part to never reuse the flex disk nuts and bolts, because if they come loose you have a good chance of chewing up the driveshaft and/or trans output flange, which gets very expensive.

Do some searches on words like 'transmission' 'output' 'slotted' 'nut' and similar, you'll find lots of info on this.

Good luck!

George Davis
'69 280 SL Euro manual

al_lieffring

« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2007, 18:26:15 »
I had the similar symptoms when I first started driving my 66 230 stick shift.

To tighten the flange nut on the output shaft I made a spanner wrench out of a 1/2" drive 1-1/8" socket.

I have reused flex disc bolts on many cars without replacing the rubber disc kit. And  usualy don't replace the disc unless there are signs of wear or cracking.
Be sure to get it assembled tight, with all the bolts and washers in the proper positions.

Al

66 230sl
113-042-10-014715
904/396 blue, Ivory Tex
condition: not-as-rusty-as-before-bucket
« Last Edit: February 06, 2007, 18:28:36 by al_lieffring »

ja17

• Platinum
  • USA, OH, Blacklick
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2007, 18:51:26 »
Hello Tom,

Yes these guys have it pegged exactly, they are really getting good at diagnosis!  Acceleration and de-acceleration causes the speedometer needle to bounce off the bottom peg.
 A sheetmetal lock plate is supposed to keep the special nut from comming loose in the transmission. Be sure to order this it is inexpensive and important.  

Worn out sychronizers is rarely a problem in these transmissions.

Joe Alexander
Blacklick, Ohio
Joe Alexander
Blacklick, Ohio
1969 Dark Olive 280SL
2002 ML55 AMG (tow vehicle)
2002 SLK32 AMG (350 hp)
1982 300TD Wagon turbo 4spd.
1963 404 Mercedes Unimog (Swedish Army)
1989 flu419 Mercedes Unimog (US Army)
1998 E430
1974 450SLC Rally
1965 220SE Finback

n/a

« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2007, 19:59:23 »
Okay, so you guys have been AWESOME about diagnosing this; now the question comes, where do I get all the parts I need in order to do this?

« Last Edit: February 06, 2007, 20:11:56 by Tom »

rwmastel

• Platinum
  • USA, OH, Canal Winchester
  • Pagoda SL Group: 20+ years and going strong!
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2007, 22:35:23 »
quote:
Originally posted by fjr_wertheimber

where do I get all the parts I need in order to do this?
Start making phone calls:
http://www.sl113.org/data/show_table.asp?table_name=usr_parts_and_service_suppliers

Rodd
Powell, Ohio, USA
1966 230SL, Euro, Auto, Leather, both  tops
1994 E420
Rodd

Did you search the forum before asking?
2017 C43 AMG
2006 Wrangler Rubicon
1966 230SL auto "Italian"