Author Topic: 280SL Starting problems  (Read 2757 times)

rbsl280

280SL Starting problems
« on: May 09, 2007, 21:35:16 »
I have a 71 280SL that ran purfectly for 35 yrs.  Then the plugs, wires, and the starter motor were replaced in May of 2005 because the the same mechanic for as many years recomended it.  Have had nothing but trouble with the car since.  Sometimes the car will not turn over at all, and sometimes it will start right up and then after driving it for about 20-30 minutes it can die in the middle of the road.  The first time I had it towed to the mechanic.  He said there was nothing wrong with the car, and he said it started right up for him.  It was fine when I picked it up.  It died the other day, again in the middle of the road.  Had it towed back home as the mechanic was closed.   Also, the car is not running well either, could be rust in the gas tank.  Any idea what the problem could be?  Thank you for any help, Bob

seattle_Jerry

Re: 280SL Starting problems
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2007, 01:20:04 »
I'll be first to bite:

1. There is a possibilty that it is completely unrelated to the replacement of those parts. That being said...they are cheap to replace so replace them again. If it doesn't help you can cross that off the list and keep the other set for next time.

2. Ignition coils are also cheap. Maybe it has a short that intermittantly causes your car to stall or maybe the wire from the coil has a short. Maybe you are getting low power from it other times.

3. Are the plug wires on in the right order? Dumb question but it should be eliminated from the list.

4. How are the cap and rotor?

5. Put a clear in-line fuel filter in so you can see what garbage is being pumped from your tank.

6. Fuel pump on the fritz

7. Bad ground somewhere that causes ignition to cut out

I had an MGB with a bad ground that turned the starter with the windshield wipers or was it the turn signal... The wiring was really messed up.

1967 230SL Havana Brown Auto with A/C