Author Topic: Wiper Spindle/Crank Problem  (Read 2373 times)

DavidBrough

Wiper Spindle/Crank Problem
« on: March 18, 2007, 13:16:15 »
I have had a problem with the park point of my wipers moving and assume it was caused by the crank slipping on the drive shaft. The centre bolt seemed fairly tight but I had to undo and move the crank to fix it. When doing this I noticed that whilst the drive shaft is splined, my crank isn’t. Does anyone know if this is supposed to be splined as well. I don’t want to try and source a new crank if tightening the mounting nut is all that’s required.

This is the first time I have had this problem but it does seem that there must be a lot of force on the motor spindle/crank mounting and do wonder why this was not originally made square.

Any thoughts and comments would be gratefully received.

David Brough
1969 280SL Auto

Naj ✝︎

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • United Kingdom, Surrey, New Malden
Re: Wiper Spindle/Crank Problem
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2007, 13:51:59 »
David,
From what I can remember, the wiper arms are not splined. The material seems to be softer so that they lock on the the spindle. (quite different from the old Trico type splines....)

naj

68 280SL
68 280SL

al_lieffring

« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2007, 14:41:07 »
David

Add another flat washer under the nut attaching the crank arm to the shaft. If it has slipped the taper will be worn to where the nut will bottom out on the threads before the taper is tight enough.

Al

66 230sl
113-042-10-014715
904/396 blue, Ivory Tex
condition: not-as-rusty-as-before-bucket

DavidBrough

« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2007, 14:55:42 »
Thanks Naj & Al, seems this may be quite simple to fix, hopefully.

David Brough
1969 280SL Auto