Author Topic: Vinyl dye  (Read 2722 times)

69280sl

• Gold
  • USA, IL, Elk Grove
Vinyl dye
« on: March 18, 2007, 19:28:57 »
As for so many others on this forum, interior vinyl in my original color, (141),is no longer available.
I am considering using World Upholstery vinyl dye on my new, but incorrect color door panels.
A search on this subject did not reveal much, but one post said that their "parchment" was not a good color match.
Does anyone have any experience with World Upholstery's dye or comments on color match, and durability once it is applied. Does it wear off or get "thin"? Any other advice?
Thanks
Gus
1968 280sl
Gus

68 280sl, signal red/ beige/black softtop. Car # 1084

Shvegel

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • USA, OH, Cleveland Heights
Re: Vinyl dye
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2007, 19:45:29 »
Although they all call vinyl dye keep in mind it is actually paint. Surface prep is the key to a good job. You need to make sure the surface is clean and free of any oil or release agents from the manufacturing process(I usually wipe things down with laquer thinner a couple of times).
As far as color match in concerned I would probably take a piece of the original interior down to the local paint store and have them match it for you. I think you would get a closer match than buying an off the shelf product.

Douglas

« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2007, 20:30:31 »
The dye I've used from Leatherique was excellent & I'd have no hesitation dying an MB-Tex interior with it. As the previous forum member pointed out, surface prep is key. When done right, the results can be outstanding and durable. (My experience with their crack filler was not as impressive. Over time, it didn't hold.)

If color matching is an issue, then I recommend you send a swatch to Leatherique and ask them to match it.

Douglas Kim
New York
USA

69280sl

• Gold
  • USA, IL, Elk Grove
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2007, 20:51:48 »
Shevgel
Thanks for the reminder about adequate prep.

Douglas
Was the Leatherique you used a liquid to be painted on, or a spray can aerosol?

Gus
Gus

68 280sl, signal red/ beige/black softtop. Car # 1084

Douglas

« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2007, 21:25:39 »
Gus,

It can be applied by hand or sprayed via compressor. It comes in a plastic container similar to a milk carton.

I found the results to be decent with a plain old paintbrush as it's self-levelling, but I understand results are even better when sprayed. I've got to think the quality of the results depends on the color being used to some degree.

Here's the link to their products:

http://leatherique.com/products.htm

(If you get a chance, please take before, during & after pix. I'd love to see the results.)

Douglas Kim
New York
USA
« Last Edit: March 18, 2007, 21:29:14 by Douglas »