Author Topic: Seat backrests/headrests for 230SL  (Read 6812 times)

HUGHGENE

Seat backrests/headrests for 230SL
« on: February 07, 2007, 06:44:45 »
I wish to fit seat headrests into my 230SL Pagoda 1965. Apart from obtaining the headrests and other parts to fit into the backrest, there seem to be as many views on how to do this, as there are owners. This is wearing me out !.

An alternative currently open to me, is to replace my backrests, with those from a 280Se, complete with fitted headrests. The vendor of these feels that they should fit, or could be adapted. I feel that they will either fit, or not fit, and I cannot readily visualise how they could be adapted.

Someone else believes that all the 60's and 70's Mercedes seat components are interchangeable, but he is not certain.

Does anyone know for sure whether the 280Se's will fit, and whether seat components of this era are generally interchangeable ?.

HAC (IRELAND)

Khurram Darugar

Re: Seat backrests/headrests for 230SL
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2007, 07:36:51 »
HAC,
    Dont change your seats.  The seat in the pagoda is not the same as any of the other mercedes cars and will not look correct and I would be suprised if they fit.  Your old seat cover will definitely not fit. Installing the headrest is supposed to be fairly simple.  Ive been meaning to do mine and will give it a shot this weekend and will send you some pictures if you want.
Do you have the headrest rails and grommets for the headrest seatcover holes?
Kay

Kay
Euro 280sl LHD Auto.

HUGHGENE

« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2007, 13:52:19 »
Thank you Kay.

In fact since posting my query, I have been told that in late 1965, the backrests in the Pagodas were thickened up considerably. As mine is a February 1965 baby, it seems quite possible that most other later Pagoda backrests would not fit, in any case.

I don't think that I would have a problem installing the headrests and hardware, if I could find them, and this was my original intention. However, perhaps I have been unlucky, but for various reasons, attempts to purchase these items separately have failed, and I have been thrown back on considering changing the whole seat backrests as well.

I would be glad to receive any advice/help/pictures which you might send after next weekend, and if you or anyone else, comes accross the headrests/ironmongery complete in black MBtex, in good condition,  I would be happy to pay the going rate. At the moment I don't actually have anything at all !.

HAC (IRELAND)

waltklatt

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • USA
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2007, 14:37:07 »
HAC,
You could possibly raid the headrest hardware and stiffeners from a MB sedan model.  Possibly a 90's era model with thin seats and weld them to your current frames and put some grommets to protect and hide the cuts in the existing seat covers.  The seat frames from any other car will not fit the SL.
Walter
1967 220SL-diesel

J. Huber

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Cedar Ridge
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2007, 14:37:16 »
You know, I don't think I have ever wanted or needed headrests on my car. Maybe its because I have lousy posture or maybe because I am always leaning to hear that pesky rattle near the glovebox...

James
63 230SL
James
63 230SL

rwmastel

• Platinum
  • USA, OH, Canal Winchester
  • Pagoda SL Group: 20+ years and going strong!
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2007, 22:21:53 »
HAC,

Have you seen these threads?  Lots of great info, and you can e-mail any of the people who posted by clicking on their username.  Have fun!

http://index.php?topic=2504
http://index.php?topic=2559
http://index.php?topic=2513
http://index.php?topic=3040

Rodd
Powell, Ohio, USA
1966 230SL, Euro, Auto, Leather, both  tops
1994 E420
Rodd

Did you search the forum before asking?
2017 C43 AMG
2006 Wrangler Rubicon
1966 230SL auto "Italian"

DavidAPease

• Silver
  • USA, CA, Chico
  • Audit Committee
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2007, 23:09:07 »
HAC,

As luck would have it, a set of headrests with the mounting rails(?) showed up on eBay yesterday:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/MERCEDES-113-250-280-SL-230SL-250SL-280SL-HEADREST-RAIL_W0QQitemZ290080870026QQihZ019QQcategoryZ10076QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Since seats from another model won't seem to work, perhaps this is what you need.

-David Pease
'66 French 230SL

P.S.  James: I am inclined to agree with you; on the other hand, I've yet to be rear-ended...
« Last Edit: February 07, 2007, 23:12:47 by DavidAPease »
-David Pease
 '66 230SL (Originally sold in Paris)

J. Huber

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Cedar Ridge
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2007, 13:14:20 »
quote:
Originally posted by DavidAPease

HAC,

P.S.  James: I am inclined to agree with you; on the other hand, I've yet to be rear-ended...

Whoa, great point -- never even thought of the safety factor. Thanks, David. Hope all is well in your neck of the woods (no pun intended!)

James
63 230SL
James
63 230SL

HUGHGENE

« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2007, 16:53:44 »
Thank you David Pease
But the guy on eBay just doesn't answer some basic questions which I asked him.

I wonder how Kay got on last week end with fitting the headrests. What model did they headrests come from ?.
My backrests are the thin ones (february 1965). I think they got thicker, later that year. Will any Pagoda fittings work with these backrests ?. I now have an offer of the headrests and fittings from a 280Se- will they fit. I am checking out the year of manufacture.

February 1965 230SL RHD

HAC (IRELAND)

HUGHGENE

« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2007, 09:10:50 »
I finally got the headrests in PA, and the rails in Germany. They are now fitted, and look well, although I did make a bit of a mess with the first hole in the Tex, where the grommet fits in.

For anyone doing this job, the metalwork is easy, although I did have to cut off the drilled lugs on the bottom end of the slides, and re-drill a couple of inches further up, as the lugs were coming exactly under the small drilled metal plates which receive the self tapping screws which hold the seat backs on. To prevent distortion of the slide, when the nut and bolt is tightened, due to it's shape, it is necessary to fit a little plywood packing piece.

I found that the most difficult part of the whole operation, was cutting out the seat padding to receive the upper end of the slides. Difficult, because one has to be fairly accurate, particularly near the very top, so that the grommets are a tight fit, it is almost impossible to see what one is doing, and the material itself, which is like rubberised hemp, is difficult to work with.

Tom Koellner gave me a lot of good advice, such as work from the bottom up, and do not cut the Tex until almost last, or you will end up with too large a hole in the seat cover. He also suggested making the holes with a drill. The drill does not actually bore a hole, but the stuff wraps itself around the bit, and can be pulled out. I found that I was unable to control my (rather fast) drill, and it was inclined to tear out huge chunks, so I bought a box of surgeons scalpels, which did the job.

Also, I gave up on trying to cut, blind, in the upholstery, an accurate shape to receive the push on from underneath plastic washers which retain the grommets in position. The grommets and retainers are oval in shape, and as my seats are earlier thin ones, there is very little space for them, due to the stiffening of the upholstery at front and back of the seat. Therefore I used a good dollop of Copydex, which is a fabric adhesive, when finally fitting the grommets in.  It all seems quite solid and neat

Finally, I would like to thank all the forum contributers, who pointed me towards Tom, in Germany, and also Douglas Kim, with whom I have been in direct contact, and who gave me a lot of help. I just hope that these notes will help someone else

HAC (IRELAND)