Author Topic: Soft Top Storage  (Read 3769 times)

flacc

Soft Top Storage
« on: March 23, 2007, 12:58:14 »
I'm starting a new thread to get everyone's suggestions about soft tops.  After doing several searches and reading the present line about top wear (I'm getting ready to replace my original torn, faded unsightly one, and the price is not what it was 5 years ago[:(!]) I was wondering if anyone thinks it would be better to just store the new top in it's compartment most of the time and release it occasionally to get the kinks out. I always leave the top up per the factory instructions on my Saab and it does keep it from getting creases, but it seems to be a constant struggle w/ everyone here to keep the edges from curling, the fabric from getting worn and even getting the top up in one movement.
Maybe the creases would be preferable

christopher
1970 280sl
1985 300td wagon
1999 320 4matic wagon

Cees Klumper

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, De Luz and Los Angeles
    • http://SL113.org
Re: Soft Top Storage
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2007, 16:48:31 »
I have not put the hard top on for years now, so the soft top is on/up most of the time in the winter. In the summer, there are times when I leave the soft top down for extended periods (the car is garaged, and so no need to put the top up when I put the car away). In order to avoid the curls, I always make sure it goes into the well with the corners tucked down. Even after having sat in the well for, say, a month, I never have noticed creases that stay in for any length of time (as in hours).

Now there have been winters in the past when I have put the hard top on, meaning the soft top sat in its well for months, and also then I never noticed creases forming.

Cees ("Case") Klumper in Amsterdam
'69 white 280 SL automatic
« Last Edit: March 23, 2007, 16:48:54 by cees klumper »
Cees Klumper
1969 Mercedes 280 SL automatic
1968 Ford Mustang 302 V8
1961 Alfa Romeo Giulietta Sprint Coupe 1600
1962 FIAT 1500S OSCA convertible
1972 Lancia Fulvia Coupe 1.3
1983 Porsche 944 2.5
1990 Ford Bronco II

sjiatrou

« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2007, 17:08:05 »
It seems that there are some after-market tops that stand the test of time better than others.  I too will be replacing my top this year and would like to know if there is a preferred manufacturer out there (GAHH? World Upholstery? Other?)

Steve Iatrou
Seaside, CA
1964 230sl roadster
White (050)/Black (116)
« Last Edit: March 23, 2007, 17:08:44 by sjiatrou »

Douglas

« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2007, 17:22:02 »
Steve,

I believe GAHH has the best aftermarket top at the moment. I know Gernold helped improve the design, so it's a well-engineered product with fabric in ample amounts in the right places.

The part I hated about folding the soft top was that it puts "dents" into the rear window that you can always see later. Take a careful look at your rear window and you'll see what I mean.

I hate to say this, but I think the only real solution to the inevitable damage from all the related friction is a minimum of folding and unfolding. Simply leave it up or down for extended periods, if possible.

Douglas Kim
New York
USA

J. Huber

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Cedar Ridge
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2007, 15:49:57 »
I'd like to hear and see (i.e. pics) specifics from people who have recently replaced their tops. Has anyone used someone other that Gahh? World? etc. What did the labor side run? Pleased with it? Did you buy top first then have it installed?

Just a quick look around, I see the GAHH runs about $775 compared to World's $475. Is there really a $300 difference between the two?

My experience goes like this. I currently have a Robbins Sunfast-G top on my car. I had it put on in 1994. I'd say its pretty good quality. The only problem is the rips and tears on the edges from folding it. And that my rear window is not what it used to be. But the canvas has held up great. I see the company is still around (search Robbins tops) -- and sells 113 tops for about $750.

I'd say my soft-top usage is about like Cees'except now with a hoist I do put hard-top on for a few months in winter. Rest of the time, the top is mainly down -- if an evening ride gets chilly, the soft-top goes up. If I get a new top -- and can count on my little Pagoda Edge-Saver (insert copyright here  ;) ), I'll put soft-up more often.

James
63 230SL
James
63 230SL

J. Huber

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Cedar Ridge
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2007, 13:00:19 »
Let me butt in here...

Well, I think I may have found my guy (for soft-top...). I decided to inquire about tops here to a couple upholstery places who "supposedly" do good work. The first guy wanted 600 labor and quoted about 800 for a non-German Canvas -- "more" for German C... I just wasn't overly impressed.

Then I tried shop #2. First thing out of his mouth was: "wow, what a great looking car..." (Ok.Ok. he had me at wow...) Anyway, I said how much to install a top if I provide it. He said, "well I won't just put any top on -- I recommend a GAHH german Canvas for your car." They are simply the best thing out there... It turns out he gets a much better deal than if I was to buy it online -- but said it's my choice. I felt pretty good about the "interview" -- so this may just happen sooner than later.

James
63 230SL
James
63 230SL

Markus

« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2007, 21:32:18 »
I purchased an Electron Top through Will Samples, very nice quality fits tight as a drum, but I noticed when stored even for just a few days that deep creases appear on the panels outboard of the rear window.  As many have previously stated the deck lid is not flush with the body work, when the top is down, and abundant use of plastic bags to avert scuffs and abrasions is mandatory.