Author Topic: 5 speed trans conversion update  (Read 2920 times)

Shvegel

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • USA, OH, Cleveland Heights
5 speed trans conversion update
« on: March 29, 2007, 18:09:48 »
Hi,
Thought I would update you all on the progress of doing an overdrive 5 speed swap into my automatic 113. Due to the kindness of Joe Alexander and Walt Klatt I have most of the 113 clutch and hydraulic pieces that I need. After reading about Hauser's car and seeing several other references I bought a Getrag 265 trans from a 1985 BMW 5 series.

Definately the right choice. The imput shaft looks to be the same which means all the stock clutch components should work. The  Mercedes 113 bell housing has the clutch throwout bearing shaft and fork built into it so when I build the spacer I won't have to worry about the length of the throwout shaft.Different pilot size but a custom bushing is an easy machine job

Shifter and driveshaft should be no problem I will probably use the BMW shifter and weld the Mercedes lever to it to give it an original look and feel. Driveshafts are easy you just throw money at them.

Thats all for now I'll keep you posted.

The only problem is that I am out of the country for the next month or so(I work on large private yachts) So until then I order parts to rebuild the trans and a new clutch and hit the ground running in May.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2007, 18:11:22 by Shvegel »

Khurram Darugar

Re: 5 speed trans conversion update
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2007, 03:49:31 »
Shvegel,
        Good luck, to be sure many forum members will eyeing this thread with anticipation!!  Myself included.[:p]
Pictures and specs would be ideal.
Kay

Kay
Euro 280sl LHD Auto.

Raymond

• Platinum
  • USA, FL, Jacksonville
    • GemstoneMediaInc.com
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2007, 19:57:36 »
Yes, please keep detailed notes to share.  As Kay says, photos will be invaluable to the rest of us.  Let us know whether you have to modify the transmission tunnel like in other swaps.  If you can come to Blacklick with an update, you will find a number of interested parties willing to buy beer just to hear how you're doing. :D

Ray
'68 280SL 4-spd Coupe
Ray
'68 280SL 5-spd "California" Coupe

Shvegel

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • USA, OH, Cleveland Heights
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2007, 00:34:45 »
Blacklick is definetly on my radar. It will depend on my work scedule as well how my friend makes out restoring the body on my 280SL.
Maybe I havn't hit the snag yet but it really looks to be pretty straightforward.