Author Topic: Carpet Replacement  (Read 17221 times)

jameshoward

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • United States, New Jersey (formerly of London)
Re: Carpet Replacement
« Reply #25 on: April 04, 2007, 00:43:49 »
Bob,

I would have thought that the sheet is a moisture membrane, the same thing that sits between the door panels and the working gubbins of the door (window, winder, etc). As you know, the drain tubes from the soft top box run through that area and release water into the sills directly below and in line with where the plastic sheet is. The plastic is probably there just to stop any water running into or getting blown into the interior when the car is driving at speed. (Which seems likely given the poor design of drainage from the soft top box - it's worth checking the condition of the tubes/drainage holes whilst you're there).

I also have a question for you. I am preparing to replace my carpets and would like to know what you used under them. I have purchased the correct MB bitumen/tar pads to go on the floor pan. I then intended to put down some form of felt sound deadening material, followed by the carpet.

Having seen the bitumen pads, I can't see that they add anything and will only get my new floor all messy. I also don't want to glue them down.

Instead, I was thinking that I could use self adhesive dynamat straight onto the metal, followed by some additional thin felt carpet (as MB origiginally did according to SLS in Hamburg) followed by the carpet. That's for the floor mats. Elsewhere, I am thinking that I could just use dynamat then perhaps glue the carpet onto that. Would glueing onto dynamat work?

Can you advise on a sensible way forward given your experiences?

Thanks.

James
James Howard
1966 LHD 230SL

bpossel

« Reply #26 on: April 04, 2007, 04:25:31 »
Hi James,

What I did was to install Dynamat Extreme (a newer, and supposedly better material than just Dynamat...) directly to the metal floors. I also had 2 smaller, extra, pieces that I used on the floor under the rear self area.

I then glued all of the carpet down, except: the floor pieces under the seats (these pieces fit very well without any glue); the floor pieces for the driver and passenger (which will be held down with snaps); and also the transmission tunnel.  This way I can remove these pieces as needed and clean them, and clean under them.

I will need to buy some sort of padding material for the transmission tunnel.  Currently this piece is a bit wavy and uneven on the top side between the shifter and the heater box area.  I am thinking about gluing the padding material to the underside of the trans tunnel carpet.  In summary, the trans carpet will be easily lifted out if I need to get to the 2 access panels.

This

quote:
Originally posted by jameshoward

Bob,

I would have thought that the sheet is a moisture membrane, the same thing that sits between the door panels and the working gubbins of the door (window, winder, etc). As you know, the drain tubes from the soft top box run through that area and release water into the sills directly below and in line with where the plastic sheet is. The plastic is probably there just to stop any water running into or getting blown into the interior when the car is driving at speed. (Which seems likely given the poor design of drainage from the soft top box - it's worth checking the condition of the tubes/drainage holes whilst you're there).

I also have a question for you. I am preparing to replace my carpets and would like to know what you used under them. I have purchased the correct MB bitumen/tar pads to go on the floor pan. I then intended to put down some form of felt sound deadening material, followed by the carpet.

Having seen the bitumen pads, I can't see that they add anything and will only get my new floor all messy. I also don't want to glue them down.

Instead, I was thinking that I could use self adhesive dynamat straight onto the metal, followed by some additional thin felt carpet (as MB origiginally did according to SLS in Hamburg) followed by the carpet. That's for the floor mats. Elsewhere, I am thinking that I could just use dynamat then perhaps glue the carpet onto that. Would glueing onto dynamat work?

Can you advise on a sensible way forward given your experiences?

Thanks.

James

bpossel  (Memphis, TN.)
'71 280SL  /  '97 E320
« Last Edit: April 04, 2007, 04:28:00 by bpossel »

sjiatrou

« Reply #27 on: April 04, 2007, 14:29:22 »
What type of adhesive did you use for the carpet?  I am putting Dynamat extreme against the metal but don't know what will work best for the carpet-to-dynamat connection.  Also, what did you use to adhere the carpet to the soft top compartment along the back(carpet to metal connection.)

Thanks!

Steve

Steve Iatrou
Seaside, CA
1964 230sl roadster
White (050)/Black (116)

bpossel

« Reply #28 on: April 04, 2007, 18:18:54 »
Hi Steve,

I used 3M General Trim Adhesive (Clear PN #08088).  I purchased this at a local automotive paint store.  Not cheap at $13 per spray can, but great stuff!  I used this for all areas, including the rear area of the softtop compartment.  Spray on the carpet, spray on the metal, wait 1 to 3 mins, then stick the carpet on.

The procedure to glue on each of the side foot well pieces is to "dry" fit it first.  Make sure the carpet is fully inserted into the aluminum strips.  Use masking tape to hold down the carpet along the aluminum strips.  Then spray on the glue starting at the bottom section, along the well area.  Dont glue the area that slides into the aluminum strip.

I think the hardest area to install, glue, was the back area along the softtop compartment.  Very awkard!  Again, dry fit it and hold it in place on the top with masking tape.  The start gluing a small section on the right side.  Wait for glue to dry, then continue moving left...

I also used a small roller tool that one would use for installing wall paper.

Let me know if you have any more questions.

Take some pics and post for the forum.  Would love to see them!

Bob

quote:
Originally posted by sjiatrou

What type of adhesive did you use for the carpet?  I am putting Dynamat extreme against the metal but don't know what will work best for the carpet-to-dynamat connection.  Also, what did you use to adhere the carpet to the soft top compartment along the back(carpet to metal connection.)

Thanks!

Steve

Steve Iatrou
Seaside, CA
1964 230sl roadster
White (050)/Black (116)

bpossel  (Memphis, TN.)
'71 280SL  /  '97 E320

sjiatrou

« Reply #29 on: April 04, 2007, 19:48:50 »
Bob:

Thanks!  The car is currently having the passenger floor pans replaced (a bit of rust at the seam that made no sense to cover with new carpet!  Mercifully, this was the only rust I discovered after ripping up the old carpet and insulation.)  I'll take pix of the carpet install project and post as soon as I can.

Steve

Steve Iatrou
Seaside, CA
1964 230sl roadster
White (050)/Black (116)