Author Topic: Bad right front fender  (Read 2495 times)

Randy Allee

Bad right front fender
« on: April 08, 2007, 10:54:15 »
The guy that is restoring my '70 280SL told me that the Right front fender had been cobbled together.  We suspected as much because we saw some seperation in the paint around what looked like bondo.  Now he is very good and says that he can make it right but I went ahead and priced a new fender.  To my shock it was going to cost $1100 dollars for a new fender.

I also have a dent in the front chrome that split the piece.  I looked for this part and it was $3000 dollars.  He will tap out the dent and tig weld the split before sending out for rechroming.

My question is New fender or have the restorer repair? And why are parts so expensive.  Am I just use to getting anything I want on my '71 beetle for almost nothing?

Randy Allee

George Davis

Re: Bad right front fender
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2007, 11:36:20 »
Randy,

some parts on these cars are pretty high, front grille assembly for example.  However, a lot of parts are available aftermarket, usually (tho' not always) at better prices than you'll get from MB.  And many of those parts are original, too.  Anyway, it pays to shop around, but cosmetic parts in particular are not cheap.

Regarding fender replacement, besides the cost of the part, removal and reinstalling is not cheap.   Notice that there are no bolts, the entire assembly is welded, making for a much more difficult and time-consuming repair.  If your guy is good, he may be able to do a good repair for less than it would cost to replace the fender.  It's something to consider.

George Davis
'69 280 SL Euro manual

waqas

• Platinum
  • USA, TX, Austin
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2007, 11:52:33 »
FYI- someone has posted in the "items for sale" thread group regarding NOS front fenders for sale (no relation to seller, of course).

WAQAS in Austin, Texas
Waqas (Wa-kaas) in Austin, Texas

mdsalemi

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, NC, Davidson
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2007, 09:41:10 »
Randy,

A few things you should know--

1)  They made less then 50,000 units over a 9-year run, only in Germany, for our beloved 113.

2)  The Beetle was made for DECADES (yes in different configurations)in Germany, Brazil, Mexico, and who knows where else.  I have no idea but suspect MILLIONS were made.

VW was "The People's Car".  Mercedes, anything but...it was always expensive.  What does a concours quality 71 beetle sell for?  Do you see them at the major auctions?

For sheet metal such as fenders, check with K&K in Sparta Michigan.  They make some parts for the 113--and some they actually sell back to Mercedes.  You won't likely find more knowledgable person on sheet metal for the 113 then Cheryl or Tim.

That split in your chrome--I suspect you mean the grill surround--is not uncommon as it is a stress point.  Happened to me AFTER the first rechrome job.  There, don't you feel better?  TIG welding won't help, it's brass.  Silver solder or brazing.

Parts are only getting more expensive!  Keep an eye on eBay for cars being taken apart.  You can find grill pieces and lots of other trim, just have to keep looking.

Michael Salemi
1969 280SL
Signal Red w/Black Leather
Restored
Michael Salemi
Davidson, North Carolina (Charlotte Area) USA
1969 280SL (USA-Spec)
Signal Red 568G w/Black Leather (Restored)
2023 Ford Maverick Lariat Hybrid "Area 51"
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid
2023 Ford Escape Hybrid