Author Topic: steering fluid leak  (Read 4955 times)

n/a

steering fluid leak
« on: May 28, 2004, 12:32:42 »
I noticed a small amount of seepage of power steering fluid.  It appears to be eminating from the top of the steering box.  There appears to be a large bolt holding down a disk about the size of a dollar coin.  Does anyone know if there is a seal somewhere that can be replaced?  Any info will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Don
71 280sl

jeffc280sl

Re: steering fluid leak
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2004, 13:02:49 »
Hi Don,

The bolt and disk are used to adjust steering play inside the box.  The disk has an o ring which can be replaced without tearing down the box.  Wish I had know this before I took the box out and put in a new set of seals.  Mine was leaking where yours is now. You can buy an entire seal kit for about $40. Assuming your box had no play in it you need to remember how many threads are showing above the disk so you can put it back with the same spring tension.  The top nut is a cap nut which is followed by a nut which is locked into place on top of the disk.  The disk is threaded also.  I think I used a pair of needle nose pliers to spin the disk off.

Jeff C.
1970 280SL 4-speed

n/a

« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2004, 11:25:49 »
Thanks a lot, Jeff.  
So, even though there is spring tension under the disc, it is not of a force to worry about when I remove the disc?  I don't need to worry about parts shooting up when I release the bolt?
Besides the O-ring, are there other seals that should be replaced while I am doing this job?  Of course, I only will replace other seals if I can do so with the box still in the car.
Thanks for your help.
Don
71 280sl

jeffc280sl

« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2004, 16:52:31 »
Hi Don,

I have a parts breakdown of the steering box.  Send me an email address and I'll forward a copy to you.  It will be easier to discuss the insides of the box once you see the diagram.  

my email: lax882@aol.com

Jeff C.
1970 280SL 4-speed

aomastu

« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2007, 11:35:19 »
Does the MB take a different power steering fluid than other cars?  Can I go buy "regular" power steering fluid?

In my owner's manual it mentions "transmission fluid" in the power steering section.  I figure it must be a typo.

S

'69 280sl
P.O. Box 150128
Austin, TX  78715

bpossel

« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2007, 12:26:44 »
Your manual is actually correct!  Use transmission fluid.
Bob

quote:
Originally posted by aomastu

Does the MB take a different power steering fluid than other cars?  Can I go buy "regular" power steering fluid?

In my owner's manual it mentions "transmission fluid" in the power steering section.  I figure it must be a typo.

S

'69 280sl
P.O. Box 150128
Austin, TX  78715

bpossel  (Memphis, TN.)
'71 280SL  /  '97 E320

jameshoward

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • United States, New Jersey (formerly of London)
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2007, 12:30:34 »
Jeff,

My car suffers from the same very small leak. Could you please send me the info and parts list you have? I was about to tackle the problem at the weekend with my Haynes manual as I need to fix the leak as part of my jobs list before I can represent the car to the German testing people to get the thing registered and on the road. Having read your post I will not now tackle the job and will take your advice. (I have quite a bit of play also, and have been advised in other posts to change the bushes)

My e-mail address is: pagoda230@gmail.com

Hope you can help,

James

BTW, I tried to e-mail you this using the AOL address you posted but I got a mail saying that the account is not activated at present.
James Howard
1966 LHD 230SL

PnHi

« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2007, 11:24:02 »
Jeffc280sl or anyone else that may have the steering box diagram, I could use a copy as my box started to leak in the same place.  

Jeff... I tried your e-mail address, but the message came back to me.
My e-mail address is mike.d.c@comcast.net

Thanks
Mike C
68 250SL

ted280sl

• Silver
  • USA, NY, New Rochelle
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2007, 08:54:02 »
Changing the "O" ring does not require a detailed view of thew steering box. The top acorn nut should be easily removed. The disk is threaded and I was able to undo mine using a pair of needle nose pliers and putting the tips in the two small holes. Count the number of turns you undo the disk. At a certain point you will be able to remove the old "O" ring and replace it. Turn it back the same number of turns and that should fix the leak. I suggest draining the fluid before you start this procedure or it will become a messy job.
Ted 1969 280SL I fixed my leak

PnHi

« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2007, 17:53:31 »
quote:
Originally posted by ted280sl

Changing the "O" ring does not require a detailed view of thew steering box. The top acorn nut should be easily removed. The disk is threaded and I was able to undo mine using a pair of needle nose pliers and putting the tips in the two small holes. Count the number of turns you undo the disk. At a certain point you will be able to remove the old "O" ring and replace it. Turn it back the same number of turns and that should fix the leak. I suggest draining the fluid before you start this procedure or it will become a messy job.

Ted
The "acorn" nut comes off easily, however the nut that sits atop the disk will not budge when I place a wrench on the threaded stem.  I am assuming that that nut is removed and then the disk revealing the o-ring.  Is there a trick to removing the second nut?

Mike C
68 250SL

PnHi

« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2007, 19:52:50 »
quote:
Originally posted by PnHi

quote:
Originally posted by ted280sl

Ted
The "acorn" nut comes off easily, however the nut that sits atop the disk will not budge when I place a wrench on the threaded stem.  I am assuming that that nut is removed and then the disk revealing the o-ring.  Is there a trick to removing the second nut?

Mike C
68 250SL

Bump

PnHi

« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2007, 19:09:42 »
Special thanks to Jeffc280sl who helped me off line fix my leaking steering box.  Once the nut was free the job took another 20-30 min. and I was off for the test drive.  No leaks.

Thanks again Jeff

Mike C
Aberdeen MD
1968 250SL
Dark Green / Cognac