Author Topic: new 67 230SL  (Read 2596 times)

piddler

new 67 230SL
« on: May 28, 2007, 20:05:50 »
I am new to the forum and my wife just bought a 1967 230SL. The car is pretty solid but does have a few things that I need to sort out.

The car wanders a little on the highway. Is there and adjustment like was on the old sector gears. I saw what looked like and adjustment on the steering box, but the Chilton book does not mention it.

The battery will not hold charge. I goes dead after a couple of days. I know I have a ground somewhere and I will start looking for that as soon as I get time to work on the car again. Are there anything that commonly caused this problem?

I appreciate any help, Pete  

The car has fuel injection. Any hints on adjustments?

nick350

Re: new 67 230SL
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2007, 13:03:45 »
yes, the first adjustment to make is to your overdraft. An extra zero usually does the trick.

good luck
[:0]

Nick350
r107 SL red
w113 SL white

rogerh113

• Associate Member
  • Senior
  • Los Altos, Ca
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2007, 14:07:41 »
Hello,

Regarding the steering, there is a steering coupling just above the steering box which has 2 plastic bushings in it.  Just replaced them on my '66 230SL and it COMPLETELY took care of the steering play/drift.  Well worth the trouble.  If you have a manual trans, there are also several plastic bushings in the shift mechanism that are easy to get at and make a big difference in shifting (2 locations - at the shift lever, and via an access panel at large part of trans tunnel).

Enjoy the car!!  

Roger
1966 230SL black 4 speed (250 low compression engine)

graphic66

« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2007, 14:34:03 »
On your charging issue, first check that when you turn your ignition key to the run position without starting the car that the red charging lamp on the dash lights up. If this bulb is blown or has a bad connection your alternator will not charge. If still no charge, then your light should be coming on. Check your voltage at the battery when the car isn't running, then check it with it running, you should see about 11-12 volts static and 13.5-14.5 running. You can also just look at the headlights and see the difference running and not. I would definitely check your battery connections, as they probably need to be taken off and cleaned regardless of the problem. Disconnect the neg. post first to avoid sparks from the wrench grounding. Again, that little red dash bulb, if it doesn't work you can't charge as that provides the alternator with a trickle of power to excite the coils to get it charging. My car wandered when I bought it and I found the rear shock mounts in the trunk were loose. There are many other reasons, so just keep searching these posts and you will tighten things up in no time.

glennard

« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2007, 14:54:12 »
OK, What's the secret to getting the wife to buy? :)