Author Topic: Manual Clutch Diagnosis  (Read 3788 times)

ted280sl

• Silver
  • USA, NY, New Rochelle
Manual Clutch Diagnosis
« on: September 04, 2003, 17:39:26 »
I recently did not drive my car for several weeks because I had the paint refinished. I noticed that my clutch master cylinder reservoir was a little low. It was not so low that air could have entered the system. I topped it off but, I have noticed recently when the car is cold and I fully depress the clutch pedal to switch gears that the gears do not shift smoothly. It seems that when I shift into second or third that the clutch is not fully disengaged. I am concerned that I may damage something. The clutch pedal feels right. I do not believe that system needs to be bled. There is no oil leaking from the slave cylinder or the gear box. The clutch and the throw out bearing are relatively new. I never had this sympton previously. I was hoping an expert or a talented amateur might have some ideas.
Ted
1969 280SL

Benz Dr.

• Vendor
  • Platinum
  • Canada, ON, Port Lambton
  • Benz Dr.
Re: Manual Clutch Diagnosis
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2003, 22:31:49 »
Hi,
sounds like it may need a bit of service work. You can pressure bleed the clutch system by running a clear hose from the FL brake bleeder screw to the clutch slave bleeder screw. Open both and push the brake pedal. Any air that may possibly be trapped will be forced out into the reservoir. I usually remove any fluid in there before I start so it doesn't overflow. Sometimes it will bleed out just fine by pushing the pedal so I usualy try that first. The brake system bleed will always work though. Make sure that the bleeder screw on the slave is open and not clogged. There's also a small bleeder on the master inside the car and you open it until you see fluid come out and then close it. The pedal needs to be in the rest position.

The clutch has two places that you can adjust free play. Inside the car there's a spot on the push rod where you can add or remove play and on the clutch slave there's an adjustable push rod there too. If the plate is worn or the flywheel has been turned the rod may be too short and the clutch will barely disengage. I make a longer push rod and then adjust it until there's just a bit of play. The system is self adjusting after that point as the clutch disc wears away.
regards,
Dan c

Daniel G Caron
1966 230SL 5 speed, LSD, header pipes, 300SE distributor, ported, polished and balanced, AKA  ''The Red Rocket ''
Dan Caron's SL Barn

1970  3.5 Coupe
1961  190SL
1985   300CD  Turbo Coupe
1981  300SD
2013  GMC  Sierra
1965  230SL
1967 250SL
1970 280SL
1988 560SEC