Author Topic: speedometer  (Read 4728 times)

piddler

speedometer
« on: June 27, 2007, 06:28:39 »
The speedometer on our 230sl does not work. The cable seems to be ok. When taken loose from the speedometer it will turn when I drive the car. Does any one know of a speedometer repair shop or are parts available to repair the unit myself?

Thanks, Pete

66andBlue

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Solana Beach
Re: speedometer
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2007, 07:58:46 »
Pete,
check the link:
http://sl113.com/data/show_table.asp?table_name=usr_parts_and_service_suppliers
for speedo repair shops. I have used Palo Alto Speedo for odometer repair with good success.

Alfred
1966 blue 230SL automatic
Alfred
1964 230SL manual 4-speed 568H signal red
1966 230SL automatic 334G light blue (sold)
1968 280SL automatic (now 904G midnight blue)

rwmastel

• Platinum
  • USA, OH, Canal Winchester
  • Pagoda SL Group: 20+ years and going strong!
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2007, 14:00:42 »
Pete,

While you're working with instrument cables, you should search this site for "tach drive bushing".  There is a critical bushing that wears, and when it wears it can allow the gear that drives the engine oil pump to disengage!!  ZERO OIL PRESSURE!!!

If you're new to searching this forum, just ask for help.

Rodd
Powell, Ohio, USA
1966 230SL, Euro, Auto, Leather, both  tops
1994 E420
Rodd

Did you search the forum before asking?
2017 C43 AMG
2006 Wrangler Rubicon
1966 230SL auto "Italian"

jameshoward

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • United States, New Jersey (formerly of London)
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2007, 14:23:41 »
Pete,

This is probably a stupid statement that applies only to someone of my somewhat limited intellect, but have you checked to see if the trip or mileometer thingy still registers when you drive the car? My speedo needle didn't work, and I was about to lauch into the dash to pull the offending item when I noticed that the trip did work - hence the problem was with the needle, not the cable. I found that a sharp tap to the glass whilst driving made the needle spring into life. I have to do this most days, although sometimes it does work of its own accord. I sort of like it; more character, etc. You could try this. You can read on this site about a worm screw in the speedo that wears and seems to be a lot to do with speedos packing up. You could check this before sending if off for an expensive rebuild. I think I read a post once where Cees Klumper talked about this. That might narrow your search.

JH
James Howard
1966 LHD 230SL

CraigD

• Inactive
  • Senior
  • USA, WA, Lake Tapps, WA
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2007, 15:24:23 »
This need to "tap" the speedometer just started happening to me, too.  I had my speedo rebuilt about 2 years ago at Palo Alto, and have driven maybe 2000 miles since then.  I wonder what might make the needle stick at 0?

Craig
'70 280SL Euro, Manual,  Leather
Silver/Black

Craig
'70 280SL Euro
'55 300S Roadster
'29 Franklin Speedster
'37 Cord S/C Cabriolet (RHD)

jameshoward

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • United States, New Jersey (formerly of London)
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2007, 00:37:08 »
Craig,

Send it back to them. If they're worth their salt they'll fix it free. If they don't, name and shame on this site as they do get a lot of good publicity from it. I'd very definately expect something mechanical like an over-hauled speedo to be fully functional for years after an overhaul by a professional company. I'm sure they'll look after you.

JH
James Howard
1966 LHD 230SL

Peter van Es

• Honorary Member
  • Platinum
  • Netherlands, North Holland, Nederhorst Den Berg
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2007, 17:02:51 »
I have the opposite: the speedo works, but the trip or mileage indicator does not -- always -- move. Apparently the thing that engages the worm wheel commonly develops a fault that means that mileage gets counted intermittently or not at all. I remember reading a paper article (you know, on dead trees) about a repair on that once. If I find it I'll try and post some pictures.

Peter

Check out http://bali.esweb.nl for photographs of classic car events and my 1970 280 SL
1970 280SL. System Admin of the site. Please do not mail or PM me questions on Pagoda's... I'm not likely to know the answer.  Please post on the forum instead!

J. Huber

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Cedar Ridge
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2007, 17:54:37 »
Mines a variation on both: speedo works, mileage works, trip meter doesn't. Go figure...

James
63 230SL
James
63 230SL

66andBlue

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Solana Beach
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2007, 19:09:29 »
quote:
Originally posted by J. Huber

Mines a variation on both: speedo works, mileage works, trip meter doesn't. Go figure...James

Hi James,
although I don't have firm statistics I believe that this is the most common problem. Place it on the to-do-list for winter. See:
http://sl113.com/forums/index.php?topic=3813
http://sl113.com/forums/index.php?topic=2104

Alfred
1966 blue 230SL automatic
Alfred
1964 230SL manual 4-speed 568H signal red
1966 230SL automatic 334G light blue (sold)
1968 280SL automatic (now 904G midnight blue)

waqas

• Platinum
  • USA, TX, Austin
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2007, 00:29:58 »
Another sanity check: a couple years ago when I had just put the dash back together, I took the car out for a test drive, and the speedometer didn't work (previously working). Finally, I resigned myself to removing the offending unit for repair. As I fumbled behind the unit to detach the cable, I realized that I'd not properly screwed-in the cable. With renewed hope, I re-attached the cable (correctly this time!) and went for a drive... it was alive!

You've probably already done this correctly, but I thought I'd mention it.

WAQAS in Austin, Texas
Waqas (Wa-kaas) in Austin, Texas

waqas

• Platinum
  • USA, TX, Austin
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2007, 00:34:16 »
Hey James--  I had a similar issue with mine a while back. When I took both (speedo and tach) for service at "Overseas Speedometer" here in Austin (great work, by the way...), I was told by Rick that the trip meters are prone to damage (design flaw) and one should avoid using it.

WAQAS in Austin, Texas
Waqas (Wa-kaas) in Austin, Texas