Author Topic: problem in engine  (Read 5174 times)

Skyline-GTR

problem in engine
« on: July 07, 2007, 23:55:10 »
hi my friend
I heard strong sound become from my car engine and after cheak up engine i saw like whole in engine can any one tell me what is that and how to repait it
and also I need rubber for the bumber
see the pictures

Download Attachment: engine.jpg
72.32 KB

Download Attachment: 20070707124.jpg
60.09 KB

Download Attachment: 20070707123.jpg
55.85 KB

ja17

• Platinum
  • USA, OH, Blacklick
Re: problem in engine
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2007, 00:34:39 »
Hello Skyline,

Sorry to have bad news for you. This is a major problem. You have thrown a connecting rod, doing major damage to most of the major lower engine parts. Anything can be fixed, however it would most likely be faster and more economical to replace the "short block" assembly (lower engine assembly).  I do not know how difficult this may be in Qatar.  In the US we would most likely find a good used engine or go to a rebuilder like Metric Motors for a replacement short block.

This kind of engine failure is usually a result of lack of lubrication. Most likely the engine was run a some point with very low oil. Crankshaft bearing failure followed, the engine may have knocked for a while until the connecting rod broke and was shoved through the block. What your looking at in the picture is a hole in the block and the crankshaft journal without the connecting rod!

Sorry for the bad luck!

Joe Alexander
Blacklick, Ohio
Joe Alexander
Blacklick, Ohio
1969 Dark Olive 280SL
2002 ML55 AMG (tow vehicle)
2002 SLK32 AMG (350 hp)
1982 300TD Wagon turbo 4spd.
1963 404 Mercedes Unimog (Swedish Army)
1989 flu419 Mercedes Unimog (US Army)
1998 E430
1974 450SLC Rally
1965 220SE Finback

Skyline-GTR

« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2007, 01:18:31 »
thanks for reply to my topic and what you are say is right and I'm already bought this car from USA and I used for five minutes after that  I hear strong sound in the engine
I think it is happend because  lack of lubrication because it is stop for long time
Mechanical told me it could be a tight-fitting part Broken...if the rod and crankshaft is good
I hope to fix it or if is it not i will search for any website sale short block ...i know it is expensive for shipping to my countery but i will buy it because i like this car ...to much

glennard

« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2007, 07:07:29 »
Hi, Once had a '85? 4 cyl., 2.3 liter 230E grey market.  It threw no. 2 rod thru the block.  Reached in the 'whole' and pulled out the rod and other loose pieces.  Ran it as a 3 cyl at high idle from then on.  Maybe you could put some duct tape over the hole and do a 5 cyl Pagoda-????

glennard

« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2007, 07:10:03 »
A PPP- Perverted Penta Pagoda???

quote:
Originally posted by glennard

Hi, Once had a '85? 4 cyl., 2.3 liter 230E grey market.  It threw no. 2 rod thru the block.  Reached in the 'whole' and pulled out the rod and other loose pieces.  Ran it as a 3 cyl at high idle from then on.  Maybe you could put some duct tape over the hole and do a 5 cyl Pagoda-????

Chad

« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2007, 10:12:43 »
No amount of duct tape will fix the bumper rubber problem, not as well as removing the overriders.

quote:
Originally posted by glennard

1967 230SL

Skyline-GTR

« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2007, 15:28:08 »
thanks for reply to my topics I think i must buy complete engine because the short blocj and crankshaft is damage
if there is any website sale complete engine for pagoda 230 sl

Chad

« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2007, 16:18:14 »
Hi, I think another member reported that he had very good luck recently buy purchasing a metric motors engine.  They have a good reputation, I believe.  But no personal experience.  
I think website is:
http://www.mercedesengines.net/products.asp?cat=15

Best of luck getting it back on the road as soon as possible.

quote:
Originally posted by Skyline-GTR

thanks for reply to my topics I think i must buy complete engine because the short blocj and crankshaft is damage
if there is any website sale complete engine for pagoda 230 sl

1967 230SL
« Last Edit: July 08, 2007, 16:19:07 by Chad »

al_lieffring

« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2007, 16:44:52 »
Metric Motors is a good source for rebuilt motors, but the damage to this motor most likely makes it unrebuildable, the 230sl motor was not used in any other chassis so they are hard come by. Any motor rebuilder will need a rebuildable core in exchange for a rebuilt 230sl engine.

a new short block from Mercedes is shown as part number
127 010 10 50 for a manual transmission and
127 010 11 50 for an automatic.

When I originaly bought my 230sl back in 1976 The engine was disassembled and laying in the trunk.
It had the same broken rod, but the hole was through the aluminum sub pan. The reason that I mention this is beside the damage to the short block the piston got stuffed up through the cylinder head damaging the chamber, valve seats and breaking the camshaft into pieces.
The motor needs to be completly disassembled and checked for the full extent of damage before you can make an evaluation of what parts need to be ordered.

Al Lieffring
66 230Sl
Jones'n for a new gas tank

Raymond

• Platinum
  • USA, FL, Jacksonville
    • GemstoneMediaInc.com
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2007, 18:29:27 »
IF you find you cannot find a reasonable source for a 230SL engine and don't care about keeping the car original, you could consider a complete 280 engine.  They are more common and a 280SE engine will bolt right up.  The SE engine doesn't have a tachometer, but it has provision for bolting in the parts to connect one.  

The rubber for the bumper guard is still available from Mercedes and is fine quality.  Far easier and cheaper than removing four of them and replacing the bumper because of the holes where the bumper guards bolt on.

Ray
'68 280SL 4-spd Coupe
Ray
'68 280SL 5-spd "California" Coupe

Chad

« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2007, 19:55:58 »
what was this sound like when it happened?  how long  did the engine have to run before the rod went?

1967 230SL

Skyline-GTR

« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2007, 21:22:47 »
Chad..I think the sound become from engine and the first owner told me the engine baring is damage and after the engine working I heard strong sound for 2 seconds like something broken
after that sound the car is stopped ..engine is stopped.  Mechanical told me yesterday I have bought complete engine he told me the crankshaft is damage and rod and the block is broken..

Chad

« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2007, 00:27:58 »
I've seen a video on youTube that someone made of an OM617 5cylinder w123 diesel engine that they ran with allegedly NO oil until it threw a rod.  (Have no idea why they did this highly dangerous thing to one of the quite legendary engines.)  In any case, the engine ran for about twenty to thirty some minutes before meeting the end despite being the full eight quarts down.

There is some absurd stuff on youTube.

1967 230SL
« Last Edit: July 09, 2007, 00:28:49 by Chad »