Author Topic: How to be "cool" - hard top on, or off?  (Read 7738 times)

Ann

How to be "cool" - hard top on, or off?
« on: July 31, 2007, 12:30:46 »
In my ever present desire to look the coolest- is it more favorable to have the hard top on, or off?

Just driving the Pagoda around town has gotten me quite a few admirers (hard top on). Mine will be back from the painters soon (crossing fingers). I hope to enjoy what's left of summer with the hard top left in the garage, tooling around town, top down.

But what do you think? Top on, top off?

I'll still be grinning. I've already won the big prize just owning this great car. :)

Ann

'70 Euro 280 SL silver
'06 BMW Z4 Montego Blue
'98 Jeep Gr.Cherokee (125K mi.)

nick350

Re: How to be "cool" - hard top on, or off?
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2007, 13:24:45 »
well, sweating like a pig with the top on or frying like a hog with it down....the choice is yours!
« Last Edit: July 31, 2007, 14:40:46 by nick350 »

Ann

« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2007, 13:45:45 »
{{{{{scream laughing}}}}}} Funny man.

Well I live just 10 miles from the Pacific Ocean- lots of coastal drives- not much of a need for anything beyond a good hat/sunscreen.

Good Informal car "show" at Village Coffee Roasters- Euro Sunday- last Sunday of each month. Off 101 at Valley Circle, South and quick left into the enormous parking area. 7 AM- 11 AM/Free. Probably 400-500 Ferrari/Lambo/Porsche/and last Sunday 3 Pagodas!
Jay Leno drove in his green Duesenburg this past Sunday. 8)

Ann

'70 Euro 280 SL silver
'06 BMW Z4 Montego Blue
'98 Jeep Gr.Cherokee (125K mi.)

harleydan

« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2007, 14:29:21 »
Ann,

Top off is the coolest way to go.  I have not had my hardtop on for years....even though I think the hard top looks better than the canvas soft top.  Topless all the way whenever one can.

Danny
1970 280SL silver Euro 4-speed

rhersberger

« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2007, 16:37:44 »
Ann:

I have to get to that Village Coffee Roasters thing sometime. I've been reading about it on various sites, but your trip there gave me the exact location.

I agree the car looks best with the hardtop, but I seldom put mine on anymore because top down motoring is much more fun.

Rod Hersberger

Santa Barbara

'68 280 SL, red, tan, 4sp, two tops
'01 Jag S Type brg
'07 Cayman S Carmona red, sand beige
« Last Edit: July 31, 2007, 16:39:20 by rhersberger »

Cees Klumper

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, De Luz and Los Angeles
    • http://SL113.org
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2007, 16:48:01 »
Top down - it's the only way.

Cees ("Case") Klumper in Amsterdam
'69 white 280 SL automatic
Cees Klumper
1969 Mercedes 280 SL automatic
1968 Ford Mustang 302 V8
1961 Alfa Romeo Giulietta Sprint Coupe 1600
1962 FIAT 1500S OSCA convertible
1972 Lancia Fulvia Coupe 1.3
1983 Porsche 944 2.5
1990 Ford Bronco II

Shvegel

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • USA, OH, Cleveland Heights
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2007, 18:58:32 »
I used to drive to work with the top down everyday it was above freezing and even got caught in the snow once or twice.

Now I work on a yacht and almost never see cold weather. I haven't driven the car since May of last year, It is shredded on the floor of a friend's shop getting restored and it will be at least next year before I get it back...I really miss it.

J. Huber

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Cedar Ridge
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2007, 22:19:17 »
Well, I am going to try and swim against the current on this one...

OK. There is no question that driving the Pagoda with the top down is very cool. I'd say just about all convertables are special in this way -- its just so darn fun to have the sun and the wind hitting you as you take in the world all around. Its like a ride in an amusement park. Howevvvvver...

With the Pagoda, I think the Hardtop offers a certain coolness in a different way. Especially with two tones, the top makes the car appear very groovy -- as a 60's auto should. An example might be Rodds' grey w/white car in the first Blacklick photos. I think it just adds that much more beauty to the lines of the car.

So, Ann -- seeing how you are in sunny California, I'd do what I do: Have the top off most of the year -- but don't cheat yourself out of a few months of hardtop. And even enjoy the ragtop once in a while. It too adds something special.

James
63 230SL
James
63 230SL

France

• Associate Member
  • Silver
  • Austria, Vorarlberg, Schruns
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2007, 01:33:33 »
Oh,wow! another girl?  Yipee!

The sun is so strong, except in the dead of winter, that I use the hard top mostly. Also I agree with other posters that the lines are better with the top on.  Having said that, without the top you get to hear the lovely burble from the pipes...

You can't lose either way.  She turns heads with or without--totally cool.

Trice
1968 280SL US, signal red/bl leather, auto, kinder seat
Sarasota FL; Alsace France; Switzerland
Think of your Pagoda as a woman with a past...
Trice
1968 280SL US, signal red/bl leather, auto, kinder seat
Austrian Alps
Think of your Pagoda as a woman with a past...

peterm

« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2007, 07:28:01 »
I always prefer topless myself, and not just the pagoda, (my starbucks for example, what were you thinking?)

Shvegel

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • USA, OH, Cleveland Heights
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2007, 09:29:21 »
It also corners better with the top down. Much less weight aloft than with the hard top on.

ProvingGrounds

« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2007, 10:23:52 »
Instead of trying to "look cool" how about just driving the way you feel most comfortable?
These cars came with hard tops so you wont freeze during the winter, so if you are uncertain what to do just follow the original design: tops down/soft top during the summer and hard top during the winter.

DB280

« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2007, 10:47:29 »
my first post so hello to you all.
Top down is always cool especially if you one of the ladieeees...
The w113 is one of the few cars that looks good from every angle...until you put the hardtop on.Rear 3/4 views look awkward and it is to tall in propotion to the car despite mercs best attempt to disguise it.When I get mine back in a few weeks(2 years in resto)I dont intend to ever put the hardtop on!

ngpilot

« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2007, 10:50:40 »
I have owned my 280sl for 20 years . I hung the hard top up in the garage when I brought the car home and it has been there ever since!! I don't know if I look cool driving with the top down (even on cool days) but I sure have a lot of fun.

280sl,380sl,62 thunderbird, 1955 oldsmobile

Mike Hughes

• Platinum
  • USA, VA, Blue Grass
« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2007, 17:43:59 »
Good on you, Ann!  There's not much that can beat getting behind the wheel of a Pagoda SL in the grin generating department.

I'm going to second James Huber's suggestions.

I like the car with the hardtop on.  Mine is a two-tone so it shows the hardtop off to great effect.  The Pagoda hardtop is just so unique looking that it is fun to show it off.  Plus the visibility is great, second only to driving top-down.  My second choice is driving top-down.  Now, understand that I am a wind in your hair, sun in your eyes, and bugs in your teeth British car owner for almost 40 years.  Thus my natural inclination is that one only puts the top up if it is actually raining while one is actually driving!  So driving with the soft top up is a very distant third choice.

Besides, you want to be seen to be that lucky person at the wheel of that beautiful car, don't you?  Your visiblilty is best with the hardtop on or top-down!

Your location allows you to enjoy top-down motoring almost anytime you desire, so treat yourself to the hardtop experience whenever you feel like a change.  A hardtop hoist will make doing so practical.

- Mike Hughes  -ô¿ô-
  1966 230SL Auto P/S
  Havanna Brown (408)
  Light Beige (181)
  Cream M-B Tex (121)

Download Attachment: 1 Pagoda.jpg
80.32 KB
« Last Edit: August 01, 2007, 17:59:41 by Mike Hughes »
- Mike Hughes  -ô¿ô-
  1966 230SL Auto P/S
  Havana Brown (408)
  Light Beige (181)
  Cream M-B Tex (121)

dldubois

• Silver
  • USA, FL, Pembroke Pines
« Reply #15 on: August 01, 2007, 19:20:28 »
Top down...Hard top hanging in the garage except for those couple of cold winter months.   Looks great anytime of the year.

Dana DuBois
1969 280sl
Corinth, TX
Dana DuBois
1969 280sl
Pembroke Pines, FL

harleydan

« Reply #16 on: August 01, 2007, 19:31:43 »
Just be careful (and forewarned) when removing or putting on the hardtop.  Even though it may not be very heavy, it is a very awkward procedure because each person on each side has to extend his/arms out to keep the hard top in proper alignment while at the same time walk along side of the car.  

The first time that I took off the hard top I was not aware of this.  The other person pulled the hard top closer to his side which cause me to lose my balance and ultimately resulted in one corner of the hard top hitting the concrete  :( ....a bent and scraped chrome piece....really not that bad considering.  Being strong and having good communication will be helpful in this endeavor.  And if you do this often, then having some sort of pulley mechanism above the car could be a wise investment. But it seems that you will mostly be going top down.

Cheers and being cool (cool just like everyone else here) 8) ,
Danny