Author Topic: spare tire  (Read 3396 times)

Ann

spare tire
« on: August 03, 2007, 11:41:12 »
Should I be lugging around the spare? I'd rather leave it in the garage. I carry AAA premium towing, so if I need it I can flatbed the Pagoda home.

Maybe the Pagoda engineers figured the extra weight to be there, and I should just leave the spare in the trunk.

What to do....what to do?

Ann

'70 Euro 280 SL silver
'06 BMW Z4 Montego Blue
'98 Jeep Gr.Cherokee (125K mi.)

peterm

Re: spare tire
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2007, 11:49:55 »
why would you leave it home?  wasted time with flatbed possibly being in a no cell zone etc etc?  Are yoiu carrying large amounts of luggage?  The only things in my boot are cleaning supplies for the concours

TR

« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2007, 20:58:30 »
Ann -- The opinions are all over the place on this, but I chose to remove the old (original) spare from my trunk.  And precisely to Peter's point it was done so that my wife could carry plenty of luggage.  If you're interested then below is the link that will take you to a website where photos of my modified trunk (sans spare) are posted.  The way my guys did this the mods can be easily stripped out and the trunk returned to original should that desire strike.  And as you are probably already aware, some new cars now come without spares...but do include a can of Fix-a-Flat and a small compressor.  After hauling my old spare tire around for over 2 decades without ever using it I figured if it's now good enough for some M-B models then it ought to be good enough for me.

So if you're comfortable with the idea, have a good set of tires and a cell phone, then I say go for it.

http://index.php?topic=4440

Tom in Boise
'71 280SL 4-spd, signal red w/lt. tan interior, restored/enhanced

Bob G ✝︎

« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2007, 11:53:04 »
I would not be with out the spare tire. Its bad enough about jacking the rear end up with the swing axal rear suspension. I figure besides the spare tire rap that cover the spare tire could hold some emergency items andtools that might come in handy, even sun screen for when the top is down.

Bob Geco
1968 280SL

Raymond

• Platinum
  • USA, FL, Jacksonville
    • GemstoneMediaInc.com
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2007, 15:37:21 »
I have good tires and AAA Premium but I want a spare for when I don't have time to wait for a truck.  

As a compromise, has anyone gone with a "donut", temporary spare?  The bolt pattern seems common enough.  If you removed the spare mounting mast (250/280s) it could sit flat on the floor and not only reduce weight but add some room.

Ray
'68 280SL 4-spd Coupe
Ray
'68 280SL 5-spd "California" Coupe

Khurram Darugar

« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2007, 09:54:16 »
Run flat tyres may be a possible option.

Kay
Euro 280sl LHD Auto.