Author Topic: headlights  (Read 3167 times)

Ann

headlights
« on: August 06, 2007, 23:22:58 »
My Pagoda has been re-painted and the parts/chrome and all it's *beauty marks* being put back into place.
The shop said the original headlights (which I remember as being white with a lower one (Euro) as yellow/orange. It's now been replaced as white. They told me they couldn't get the yellow/orange ones.

Should I raise a stink about this, or just let it go? I wasn't real happy about it. But they have done well by me, so far.
Can I get the orange/yellow ones?

I really want it to be as correct as I can get.And if I can get the correct ones maybe they'd see the error of their ways and put them in for me <G>.
They  will put the sill rubber in later when they do the color sanding, so I will have to go back regardless.

Ann

'70 Euro 280 SL silver
'06 BMW Z4 Montego Blue
'98 Jeep Gr.Cherokee (125K mi.)

harleydan

Re: headlights
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2007, 06:30:57 »
Hi Ann,

I too have a 1970 silver Euro 280SL....good choice if I must say  :D .  My European/German headlights are all clear (maybe what you call white).  Typically American spec headlights have the colored lower lens and maybe some of the other European countries have/had that same requirment.  If you know the country (probably from your data card) where your car was first sold, then you can go to that particular original style.  Of course, you can have the headlights in whatever style you like best.

Cheers,
Danny
same car with a 4-speed

harleydan

« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2007, 19:51:05 »
Hi Ann again,

I noticed that you have a '98 Jeep Gr.Cherokee with 125K miles.  I have a '97 Toyota 4Runner with 233K miles.

To match your '06 BMW Z4 Montego Blue, I have a green 345 John Deere tractor  :)

On a Pagoda note, I called Adsitco to get the price of European headlights.  I was suprised they were $995 a pair because a few years ago they were about $650.  Prices sure has climbed!   In addition, the chrome headlight bezels are at $159 for each side.

Cheers,
Danny
same '70 Euro 280 SL silver (but with a 4-speed)

jameshoward

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • United States, New Jersey (formerly of London)
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2007, 03:42:51 »
Ann,

Can't remember if I emailed you before about your car, but in Germany or the UK whenever work is done on a car, you always - SHOULD always - be given the option of the old parts back. If they've taken off old lights and put in new ones, you still own the old ones. You should take them, otherwise someone else will make a good few hundred dollars by selling them. Clearly you don't want old belts and filters back, but key parts are yours and you'd be mad not to take them. If they haven't given them to you, I would deduct the cost of new lights from the final bill. Otherwise you're been seen off.

JH
James Howard
1966 LHD 230SL

TheEngineer

• Associate Member
  • Gold
  • USA, West Seattle, WA
  • '69 280SL,Signal Red,
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2007, 11:22:25 »
Ann:
Unfortunately, I'm an old guy, but the advantage is that I have seen a lot: J.H. is right, you own the parts that have been removed from your car and you shoud DEMAND that they are given to you. File a law suit if they don't. You can do it!
'69 280SL,Signal Red, 09 cam, License BB-59U
'67 230SL, 113042-10-017463 (sld)
'50 Jaguar Roadster XK120, #670.318 (sld)
tired engineer, West-Seattle,WA

Raymond

• Platinum
  • USA, FL, Jacksonville
    • GemstoneMediaInc.com
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2007, 15:51:08 »
HarleyDan,
Be careful with the Adsit lights.  A friend of mine bought "Original Bosch" lights from them and they arrived with unacceptable "Spider webs" in the glass.  The folks from Adsit said they all look like that and there was no exchange or refund.  Maybe that's why they're so cheap.

Ray
'68 280SL 4-spd Coupe
Ray
'68 280SL 5-spd "California" Coupe