Author Topic: Miller reproduction Bosch horns  (Read 7472 times)

Bob G ✝︎

Miller reproduction Bosch horns
« on: September 07, 2007, 10:32:33 »
Got an e-mail advertisment from Millers Mercedes-Benz parts that they have reproduction Bosch horns a set for $169.00 part # 54-0050. Although not idenitical I ordered a set since my horns look like they need to be repainted. So I will post pictures of these horns and the orginal when I receive them next week.

Bob Geco

mdsalemi

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, NC, Davidson
Re: Miller reproduction Bosch horns
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2007, 11:10:33 »
Somebody is reproducing these.  I don't know how accurate they are, but the reason I know is that some guy in California, expresspart from North Hollywood, is always selling on eBay has them listed regularly; it is only a matter of time before someone else sourced them from the same factory.  With a set of tags I'm sure they'll be fine.  Here's a listing:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/BOSCH-STYLE-HORN-MERCEDES-PORSCHE-VW-12V-NEW_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ38655QQihZ001QQitemZ110166508650QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

Note also that I went to Miller's site and saw the photos of the horns.  One peculiar item: it looks like they just laid a larger, inappropriate horn tag on the top of the horn with no visible means of attachment.  Our horns have a smaller horn tag that has two mounting screws.  OLDER horns had a larger tag with one hole in the center.  It looks like the Miller's horns LOOK good, but have the wrong tag on them.  And, how is it attached??

Download Attachment: MillerHornSet.jpg
52.47 KB

The horn tag they show is one from Stoddard which is used on much older horns for Porsche cars, probably 1950's era.  It is also a 6V horn tag.  I have a set of these so I know where they came from, who made them!  They do NOT belong on our horns by any stretch of the imagination.  Stoddard does make a proper tag set albeit still with the the 6V rating, for dressing up 356 horn sets.

Michael Salemi
1969 280SL
Signal Red 568G w/Black Leather (Restored)
President, International Stars Section
Mercedes-Benz Club of America
« Last Edit: September 07, 2007, 11:26:29 by mdsalemi »
Michael Salemi
Davidson, North Carolina (Charlotte Area) USA
1969 280SL (USA-Spec)
2023 Ford Maverick Lariat Hybrid "Area 51"
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid
2023 Ford Escape Hybrid

Bob G ✝︎

« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2007, 13:18:03 »
these are temporary replacement horns till I can get my orginal restored. As long as they work I am not worried. By the way is there an article on horn disasemmblie and restoration in our back logs some were. I could sure use it when I take the two orginal horns apart.
Michael you raise some good questions about how these horns are mounted? I guess I will fine out soon enough when they arrive.
Thank You
Bob Geco
« Last Edit: September 07, 2007, 13:20:17 by Bob G »

mdsalemi

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, NC, Davidson
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2007, 14:52:00 »
It isn't the HORN mounting that's going to be a problem, there's a tab on the back and that mounts conventionally.  It's the TAG I'm concerned about!  It isn't the right tag, stuck on with no visible means of mounting!

Michael Salemi
1969 280SL
President, International Stars Section
Mercedes-Benz Club of America
Michael Salemi
Davidson, North Carolina (Charlotte Area) USA
1969 280SL (USA-Spec)
2023 Ford Maverick Lariat Hybrid "Area 51"
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid
2023 Ford Escape Hybrid