Author Topic: Gas pedal bracket  (Read 5354 times)

BaronYoungman

• Gold
  • USA, IL, Joliet
  • Veronica...
Gas pedal bracket
« on: August 26, 2008, 08:24:19 »
So, I am trying to weld this in and it seems that it fits about 1/2 inch away from the firewall.  Is this correct?  I have attached som pix with where I am going to mount it. It would seem to me that it should mount right against the firewall, yet it fits really nicely at this position away from the firewall.  Could someone check their bracket and see if there is a gap between the bracket and the front firewall.

Thanks, Bob

Download Attachment: bracket1.jpg
126.98 KB

Download Attachment: bracket2.jpg
138.28 KB
Bob "Baron" Youngman
1971 280 SL silver  1 car 0 boxes
1983 500sec Wheeler Dealer AMG Widebody
1985 500sec Paris Autoshow AMG coupe
1994 320sl wifes car
1988 560sec  Japan "Yakuza Car"

jeffc280sl

Re: Gas pedal bracket
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2008, 08:35:14 »
That's exactly where I put mine.

graphic66

« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2008, 11:01:23 »
Just be very careful. Put the pedal on and make sure it hits your kickdown switch if you have an automatic. Also make sure your linkage hits the pedal correctly.

jameshoward

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • United States, New Jersey (formerly of London)
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2008, 15:36:43 »
The fuel lines run right under the area where you are about to weld. When we did it we had the welder incorrectly set; almost cut through the floor pan and into the lines. You might want to ensure that you have something protecting the underside of that pan insulating the fuel lines, otherwise you might never find out whether kickdown would have worked or not. A powder extinguisher would be a good thing to have to hand before you start.

JH
James Howard
1966 LHD 230SL

Paddy_Crow

« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2008, 16:17:20 »

I used rivets to fasten my bracket back on, along with a small section of sheet metal to patch a hole in the floor. I had to be careful drilling around those fuel lines.

• Platinum
  • Germany, Nordrhein-Westfalen, Tecklenburg
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2008, 16:19:03 »
Baron,

The bracket would have been available also from the MB dealer ... but anyway.
Since you are in the middle of your restoration process, fuel in the lines is probably not an issue for you. Otherwise I recommend to take the lines off during welding - at least under the front floorpan.
Riveting is not the choice here, at least it is not original but welding is. This is what I would do as well in your case. Otherwise - if you are scary about the exact location - you can use screws. This is easier to readjust if necessary.
Please keep us updated on the process.

Best regards,
Achim
Achim
(Germany)