Author Topic: Modern A/C system.Any interest?  (Read 7773 times)

DB280

Modern A/C system.Any interest?
« on: December 20, 2007, 13:03:00 »
I have been thinking about installing A/C in my 280sl.I intend to use the car daily in the summer and  for trips to southern Europe. I would like the option if the summers continue to warm up and to counter high temperature in southern Italy. I considered fitting the bud kit and also thought about refurbishing an old system until I came across a company at the classic car show which makes custom systems for older vehicles. They currently have systems for classic Jaguars, MG B’s and TR’s. Upon talking to the owner it transpired that the main focus of the company is  A/C and heater installations on commercial vehicles(lorries and buses mostly) but due to his own classic car interests has a special dept for custom installs and one offs.

After explaining my requirements he has come back to me with a proposal which I share with all of you to gauge if there is any interest for this system amongst other owners. The main difference with this system is the use all of the existing dashboard, foot well and screen vents and the blending of cold/warm using the current control sliders.

This is achieved buy installing the evaporator/heater in the existing heater box. The rest of the under bonnet installation will look much like the original with an upgraded radiator and more efficient modern components and gases to insure reliability and correct engine temperature.

I am willing to give him my car as the development mule as this would have to be a custom made system made purely for the w113 although it could be adapted for other Mercedes of a similar vintage with the same engine and layout. I have no doubts about abilities of the company to deliver a superior system to the original with better control over the interior temperature.

The Cost? The development costs are quite high but as a guide the company could deliver a kit for between £1650 and £2500 depending on demand. If he could sell around 10 units it would be the lower end.
The cost could drop further if the numbers were higher.The system could be installed in the UK by the company if required.

Thank you for reading

Garry

hauser

Re: Modern A/C system.Any interest?
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2007, 14:15:43 »
Buds Benz sells a modern unit which uses R134 refrigerant and a rotary compressor.  A few members here are using this new compressor and their old Fridgeking units.  Makes a world of difference especially when using a high volume fan.

1969 280sl 5 spd
Gainesville, Fl.

DavidBrough

« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2007, 07:15:28 »
Hi Garry,

I have recently fitted the buds kit to my car and am reasonably happy with it. The all up cost of the kit including delivery taxes and duty  was about £1,400 but you then have to fit it yourself which was a bit tricky as it is a modified LHD system. Still, all went in eventually with one or two gripes:-

1.   You have to cut out a portion of the passenger side inner kick plate and remount the bonnet release to fit the evaporator.
2.   The switches are on the passenger side.
3.   The hoses were all the wrong size and were not the modern thin walled type. They did all sort of fit though.
4.   The underdash unit is made of naff shiny plastic.
5.   The fan is quite loud when stationery or driving slowly.

On the plus side, the thermostatic control is excellent and allows very good temperature regulation and you do get a custom mounting plate for the compressor that fits very well.

I have now made a remote switch pod and had a full set of thin walled hoses made that fit properly and the system is now much better. The plastic finish has been much improved by simply spraying it with black trim paint which takes the horrid shine off and it now looks quite acceptable. I will eventually have it trimmed properly.

Your idea of having the evaporator incorporated onto the heater/blower box may be more tricky than you think and whilst also maintaining more visual originality, may not be very efficient without changing the fan and fitting additional vents. I do like the concept though and would be interested in looking at anything that allowed for a better fitting evaporator and fan unit that could pipe air to additional vents over the transmission tunnel. I’m not really that bothered about being able to mix hot and cold air flows as the thermostat control is excellent and allows you to have warm feet and a cool face.

As I am just down the road from you in Bedford, contact me off line and you can have a look at my installation.

David Brough
1969 280Sl Auto with A/C

seanmikmac1

« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2007, 17:08:31 »
Hi Guys

I am also keen to fit a/c to my 230sl. I am wet behind the ears with regards to what what be the best route to go, and whether the level of expertise required would stop me from doing it myself. Any help would be much appreciated

cheers

sean

jbrowder

« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2008, 10:15:23 »
As some of you may know, I am knee-deep into installing a 2001 C320 engine and 5 speed automatic transmission into my 1969 280SL.  I have owned several stock pagodas, and this is an itch I just have to scratch.  

Upgraded and integrated HVAC is an important part of this conversion.  I have stripped out all the original equipment, and I am impressed by the space the original heater consumed.  It is my hope to install a modern unit that is usually installed in "Hot Rods".  Some of these custom cars are real works of automotive and engineering art.  There is a whole industry of equipment suppliers for these cars.  Here is one:

http://www.vintageair.com

There is the problem of adequate dash vents.  I bought a couple of addition chrome round dash vents, and I may try to fabricate a small underdash "pod" in the center.  Alternatively I saw this MB sedan unit installed in a pagoda, and if used simply as a vent holder and not a whole evaporator/fan, I think it could look good:

Download Attachment: AC Unit.jpg
32.91 KB

I am not sure what the source of this unit is.  Anyone else know?

So this is my planned approach to upgrading the heat/air/defrost on my car.  Any ideas or thought will be appreciated.

John B
Knoxville