Author Topic: Thin Oil/foul smell  (Read 4217 times)

230slhouston

Thin Oil/foul smell
« on: January 08, 2008, 21:09:55 »
Hi all,
What would cause the fumes when the oil cap is removed to smell of gasoline? Could this leak from the IP into the oil? Is there a seal that need replacing? The engine compression is 150-155 on all cylinders.

The engine oil seemed to have thinned as well, not water though, i was thinking gas?

Any ideas?

Thanks
MB

Paddy_Crow

Re: Thin Oil/foul smell
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2008, 08:30:08 »
If it smells of gas and the oil is thin, it's probably gas. Water doesn't mix well with oil, it tends to form sludge. It often shows up on the fill cap and looks almost like a chocolate milkshake.

Gas in the oil is very often a sign of extremely rich mixture at idle. It doesn't burn completely and coats the cylinder bore walls and gets past the rings. You should address it ASAP because the degraded oil will cause excessive wear throughout the engine.

There are other paths for fuel to get into the crankcase, but in my experience this is most likely. I'm not all that familiar with the Pagoda engine design, but it seems most of the fuel system is external to the engine, so a leak is more likely to be in the engine compartment.

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch...

glennard

Re: Thin Oil/foul smell
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2008, 10:51:47 »
Sounds like gas is getting in at starter cranking before the engine catches on its own.  This is thru the infamous 'CSV'(cold start valve on the air intake manifold).  If it leaks or stays open too long, gas will eventually get into the crank case.  Same if there is excessive cranking on start.  ****Immediately change your oil.****  Next find out where the gas is coming from.  Help is here on 'Pagoda SL Group'.