Author Topic: Differential problem, best approach?  (Read 24123 times)

cascadia

• Inactive
  • Senior
  • USA, OR, Portland
    • http://www.cascadiaclassic.com
Re: Differential problem, best approach?
« Reply #50 on: August 15, 2008, 21:04:38 »
Ok, here's an update.  It took about a month of looking on Craigslist but I was able to find a replacement axle assembly.  It came from a 63 Fintail so all of my drum brake parts swap over, ratio is stamped D 3/9, which I guess is 3,96?  Owner claimed it's been gone through, we'll find out, paid $250 delivered to my door.

My mechanic offered to let me use his shop and tools, and he was a big help when it came time to remove the compensating spring, we used his plasma cutter to fashion the removal plate per Wagas's instructions.  Also, his transmission jack was excellent for supporting and dropping the whole thing down.  I'm keeping my springs, pads and strut, most everything else looks like a direct swap.  This axle does have studs instead of threaded holes but it doesn't bother me much.

Ironically, I was able to drive the car the 7 blocks from my shop to his, my camber specific functionality problem seems to be absent for now.  If I could have removed that right side shaft I think I could have fixed my problem, but after a few straight days of trying to get it out I decided my time is worth more than the money to replace it.

Here's a couple of pics from today (Friday), on Monday we'll install the replacement, pictured below.  Thanks to all of the great information on this forum I think I understand the approach but feel free to let me know if I'm headed toward certain disaster  8)
Bob in Portland

« Last Edit: August 15, 2008, 22:04:27 by cascadia »
Bob in Portland, Oregon.

mbzse

• Platinum
  • Sweden, Stockholm, Stockholm
« Reply #51 on: August 16, 2008, 01:59:56 »
quote:
Originally posted by cascadia

.../...I'm keeping my springs, pads and strut, most everything else looks like a direct swap

Bob, just a hint.
Hoisting a Mercedes from the sixties in the manner shown in your picture puts a severe stress on the rubber front subframe supports.
The weight of the front suspension and the engine hangs in these parts, extending them, they are designed to be compressed.

The compensating coil spring is not the same on a Fin W111 as on a W113 Pagoda. A Pagoda coil has eleven windings
and the metal is 11.9mm diameter, part No 113 329 0301.
Just like in your (lower) picture. So, swap that one over to the Fin axle.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2008, 02:14:01 by mbzse »
/Hans S

cascadia

• Inactive
  • Senior
  • USA, OR, Portland
    • http://www.cascadiaclassic.com
« Reply #52 on: August 19, 2008, 21:12:20 »
Success!  The swap went smoothly, the compensating spring being the only real pain to deal with.  I logged about 20 miles today, everything seems to be swell.  Thanks for all of the advice!
Bob in Portland
« Last Edit: August 19, 2008, 21:13:52 by cascadia »
Bob in Portland, Oregon.

waqas

• Platinum
  • USA, TX, Austin
« Reply #53 on: August 19, 2008, 23:09:41 »
Great news!

Now you can take your time with the old axle to figure out the problem. (don't get rid of it!)

Waqas (Wa-kaas) in Austin, Texas