Author Topic: spark plug tip question  (Read 5425 times)

scoot

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Altadena
spark plug tip question
« on: August 14, 2008, 10:22:08 »
I have the correct Bosch (hotter, non-resister) spark plugs and the correct MB 1k ohm wires with the metal ends.  When I pull off the plug wire, I notice that the end of the spark plug has the threaded shaft, rather than the little thing that looks sort of like a zirk fitting.  I am aware that spark plugs come with those and they can be unscrewed as needed based on the specific car application -- some wires want the end piece, some don't.  

When I look inside the connector on my spark plug wires, it looks like they are designed to have the end piece of the plug screwed onto the plug, rather than just the threaded shaft.   When I take one of those end pieces and screw it onto the plug, the spark plug wire doesn't seem to want to fit onto the plug.  

Which is correct?
thanks
Scott
Scott Allen
'67 250 SL (early)
Altadena, California

J. Huber

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Cedar Ridge
Re: spark plug tip question
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2008, 10:53:21 »
I always have removed the little buggers.
James
63 230SL

graphic66

« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2008, 16:23:45 »
It seems a lot of imports have the plug connectors that you don't need the screwed on connector.There should be no question about what ends you have. You can hear the ones that don't use the end slid on the threads of the spark plug post.You should be able to look up into the boot and see what kind you have.If you need to use the screw on end put some super glue on the threads and screw on the end and tighten it with pliers, hand tight will come loose. The super glue makes sure it wont vibrate off.

scoot

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Altadena
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2008, 17:37:32 »
quote:
Originally posted by graphic66

It seems a lot of imports have the plug connectors that you don't need the screwed on connector.There should be no question about what ends you have. You can hear the ones that don't use the end slid on the threads of the spark plug post.You should be able to look up into the boot and see what kind you have.
That's the strange part -- when I look up the boot it LOOKS like the kind that has the screwed on connector needed, but when I screw one on the end of the plug, the boot doesn't want to go over it.
Scott Allen
'67 250 SL (early)
Altadena, California

66andBlue

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Solana Beach
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2008, 14:31:51 »
Anatomy of spark plug connectors for M4 and SAE ("nipple") spark plug tips:

Alfred
1964 230SL manual 4-speed 568H signal red
1966 230SL automatic 334G light blue (sold)
1968 280SL automatic (now 904G midnight blue)