Author Topic: Ray Schlicht 250SL Awarded "Best of Europe"  (Read 3479 times)

Mike Hughes

• Platinum
  • USA, VA, Blue Grass
Ray Schlicht 250SL Awarded "Best of Europe"
« on: September 26, 2008, 13:44:45 »
Ray Schlicht's 250 SL California Coupe was awarded "Best of Europe" at the Brown's Island show, "Classics on the James," hosted by the Central Virginia British Car Club in Richmond, VA on September 14th.

This came as a bit of a surprise to Ray, as the featured European vehicles this year were French cars.  Last year Italian cars were featured and a Ferrari won "Best of Europe."  The year before German cars were featured and a 300SL won "Best of Europe."  So, it seemed locigal that a French car would be awarded "Best of Europe" this year!

Ray, with Michael Egan riding shotgun is his 250SL, and I, in my 230SL, drove down to Richmond from Northern Virginia for the event.

The day was unbearably hot, and a couple of ambulance calls occurred when some folks succombed to the heat.  In the face of this, the organizers rushed their awards tabulation to hold the awards ceremony an hour earlier, forgoing the advance notification and drive-thru awards ceremony that has become a fixture of this show.  There were only four Mercedes-Benz vehicles in our class and a local 190SL won the sole award.  Ray and I hit the trail for the long hot ride back up I-95 to Northern Virginia after our class was awarded.  

Imagine his surprise when a box postmarked Richmond, VA appeared on his doorstep yesterday!

Congratulations, Ray!

Download Attachment: Browns Island 2008 004.jpg
99.7 KB

Download Attachment: Browns Island 2008 008.jpg
92.89 KB
« Last Edit: September 27, 2008, 08:34:24 by Mike Hughes »
- Mike Hughes  -ô¿ô-
  1966 230SL Auto P/S
  Havana Brown (408)
  Light Beige (181)
  Cream M-B Tex (121)

Mike

Re: Ray Schlicht 250SL Awarded "Best of Europe"
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2008, 15:21:49 »
Congratulations Ray.  Having seen your car, I am not at all surprised that it would win awards.  It's really spectacular.

Bob G ✝︎

« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2008, 16:32:27 »
Congratulations mike.
I hope someday to have thee pleasure to just display my 280SL as a driver.

Best Regards
Bob Geco

Kenneth Gear

• Silver
  • USA, VA, Fairfax Station
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2008, 08:01:08 »
Congratulations Ray!  A truly spectatular restoration made even more amazing knowing you did it all yourself.  

Ken G
1971 280 SL Silver/red