Author Topic: License Plate Restoration  (Read 5518 times)

Nate

• Associate Member
  • Silver
  • Mill Valley, California
License Plate Restoration
« on: October 01, 2008, 10:39:28 »
I'm planning to have my license plate restored.  Has anyone used Darryl's Plates or Tag Dr.?  Were you happy with the finished product and turnaround time?  I'm leaning towards Darryl's because they can make a duplicate plate.
1971 280SL
Arabian Gray / Dark Red Leather

2013 Porsche 911 Carrera 4S Coupe
Black on Black

2013 ML350 4MATIC
Arctic White on Almond Beige
Wife's car that I get to drive

1964 Porsche 356C Coupe
Irish Green on Black
Black Plate CA Car
Unrestored

Douglas

Re: License Plate Restoration
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2008, 11:04:07 »
Nate,

Run a search in the forums. I distinctly remember us covering this topic about 3 years ago. People had good experiences, as I recall. Good luck & I look forward to seeing the results.

J. Huber

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Cedar Ridge
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2008, 14:17:42 »
A little bit if an aside, but I attended a local "block party" where my in-law's neighbors all gathered to socialize -- and frankly to show off their various toys (classic wooden boats, vintage cars, etc...) I think my Father-in-law was happy to ride up in the ol' Pagoda... but I digress.

One owner of a very cool restored Porsche 356 had what appeared to be original yellow on black California plates. I commented on them and he whispered ("I painted them!") My originals are long gone but I do have some retired Yellow on Blue ones. Probably illegal to tamper with them but if they are registered -- unlikely anyone would figure it out.
James
63 230SL

hauser

« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2008, 15:14:11 »
« Last Edit: October 01, 2008, 15:14:29 by hauser »

Nate

• Associate Member
  • Silver
  • Mill Valley, California
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2008, 17:42:19 »
They may be a good alternative to having the original plate restored, especially since the turnaround is only 14 days.  Have you used them?  How close to the original plate are they?  Thanks!
1971 280SL
Arabian Gray / Dark Red Leather

2013 Porsche 911 Carrera 4S Coupe
Black on Black

2013 ML350 4MATIC
Arctic White on Almond Beige
Wife's car that I get to drive

1964 Porsche 356C Coupe
Irish Green on Black
Black Plate CA Car
Unrestored

peterm

« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2008, 19:28:18 »
My understanding is that if these are not original real "state issued" license plates they cannot be used.  I was able to locate period plates from a websource purchased them submitted their photo to NY state for approval before I could register.  There are even original registration sticker out there if required by the state at that time.

hauser

« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2008, 20:06:55 »
Nate, I used them for my Euro plate.  If I were to acquire a period correct plate that wasn't in very good shape I would use them for a reproduction.  

Another alternative is you are showing the car these plates would be the finishing touch.

Tony H

« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2008, 13:47:07 »
I used Darryls plates to have a duplicate plate made as the front plate was missing from my car when I purchased it.  They used the existing rear plate as a mold to make the duplicate plate. I had to send them my remaining rear plate and it took a very long time-like several mos.  They may be better now.  The repro plate is not metal-it's some kind of molded plastic and the numbers/letters are a little wider since it was copied from the original.  But overall very satisfied.  Color was perfect.

Rolf

« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2008, 09:28:58 »
I got a set of 1966 license plates on Ebay for 20.00. They are in excellent condition. They are original plates for the state of Colorado.