Author Topic: clearance crown gear/pinion  (Read 5882 times)

johan van lierop

clearance crown gear/pinion
« on: December 29, 2005, 14:03:26 »
Hi,
I bought a new differential crown gear and a differential pinion for
the cardan shaft of my pagode 280 SL.
Does anybody know what the clearance is between the pinion and the
crown gear?
And I would like to know how to install it?

Greatings from Johan van Lierop.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2008, 03:10:11 by 280SL71 »

Cees Klumper

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, De Luz and Los Angeles
    • http://SL113.org
Re: clearance crown gear/pinion
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2005, 15:33:07 »
According to the technical data manual, 1969 edition, the "Torque when turning the complete rear axle drive, measured at the drive pinion, should be 26 to 30 cmkp." These values apply to already used rear axles. When measuring, the rear axle tubes must be horizontal and brakes absolutely free.

Then, in the Glenn's guide (I have two prints, one from '66 and one from '69), there are a couple of pages that seem to describe the amount of free play, and how to adjust it (different thickness spacers) pretty well. Hard to post here, so if you send me your postal address off-line, I will send you copies of those pages. I think you will need them.

Maybe the Haynes and BBB manuals also describe all of this well, but they are in my garage which is located 20 min. from my PC ...

Gelukkig nieuwjaar,

Cees ("Case") Klumper in Amsterdam
'69 white 280 SL automatic
Cees Klumper
1969 Mercedes 280 SL automatic
1968 Ford Mustang 302 V8
1961 Alfa Romeo Giulietta Sprint Coupe 1600
1962 FIAT 1500S OSCA convertible
1972 Lancia Fulvia Coupe 1.3
1983 Porsche 944 2.5
1990 Ford Bronco II

A Dalton

« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2005, 18:04:31 »
Be careful when setting pinion load for crush sleeve , as the stated 26-30 cmkp is for total differential bearing load when changing a pinion seal, not for pinion load.  If one does this for pinion shaft only , the correct torque for sleeve pre-load is  only 14-15 inch/lb for new bearings and only 4-9 for old.
 This is for crush sleeve load of inner/outer pinion bearings only.
 The backlash will be the second set of numbers in mm on your new gear set.  This should be .0062" =/- .0008".
What is the new ratio?

johan van lierop

« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2005, 02:45:09 »
The new ratio of my pinion/crown wheel is 1:3.46.

quote:
Originally posted by A Dalton

Be careful when setting pinion load for crush sleeve , as the stated 26-30 cmkp is for total differential bearing load when changing a pinion seal, not for pinion load.  If one does this for pinion shaft only , the correct torque for sleeve pre-load is  only 14-15 inch/lb for new bearings and only 4-9 for old.
 This is for crush sleeve load of inner/outer pinion bearings only.
 The backlash will be the second set of numbers in mm on your new gear set.  This should be .0062" =/- .0008".
What is the new ratio?

jeffc280sl

« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2005, 06:51:07 »
Where did you purchase the gear set and how much did they cost?

Jeff C.
1970 280SL 4-speed

George Des

« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2008, 20:47:37 »
Cees/A.Dalton,

I've torn down a 3.75 rear end that I plan to change out the two pinion bearings, carrier bearings, pinion shaft crush sleeve and all rubber and seals with new components. I've carefully noted the placement of the shim on the pinion shaft and the one on the left axle tube. Understand how to put the proper pre-load on the pinion bearings but not quite sure how the backlash is checked and or adjusted. Also, how is the pre-load on the carrier bearings set? If I replace the shims with the same size as originally used, would you think that the backlash, pinion depth, and carrier bearing pre-loads would fall within the specs? If you have any details on how to go about this, I'd appreciate hearing.

George Des