Author Topic: rear caliper dust seals  (Read 3722 times)

craigb

rear caliper dust seals
« on: October 16, 2008, 06:02:55 »
What am I doing wrong! Just trying to reassemble brake calipers and I cant get the dust seals from piston to caliper to push down onto the caliper. Anybody know of any tricks here. with the fairly sharp metal of the clip band, I dont want to split my nice new rubber by pushing too hard. In frustration i even pulled one off and put the old band in to the rubber but I can't even get that on. Its like I need to make up some sort of washer so I can apply even pressure on it?  I have tried putting one side on then working forward and trying to get it lined up and push all at once but to no avail.

jeffc280sl

Re: rear caliper dust seals
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2008, 08:26:30 »
MB makes a tool to do this job.  I was able to make a similar tool by riviting two different diameter round disks together.  I think I then used two c clamps to put pressure on the diskc to force the rubber cover onto the caliper.  Here is a pick of the tool from the BBB.  It is for the front calipers and I don't recall if the tool is the same diameter for the rear.  The disks may need to be smaller or larger as required for the app.  

Download Attachment: dust shield tool.jpg
31.75 KB

craigb

Re: rear caliper dust seals
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2008, 16:53:07 »
Thank you very much for that Jeff. My feeling was that it needed more even pressure around it and this is obviously how to achieve it. More even pressure will mean that at any one point there is less likely hood of cutting the seal on the band. I will see how I go improvising on the weekend and report back.