Author Topic: Brake Master Cylinder Resevoir  (Read 3107 times)

ptomey

Brake Master Cylinder Resevoir
« on: December 12, 2008, 15:17:55 »
I just found out that my reservoir actually has 3 chambers, a front for the front brakes, a middle chamber, no idea, and a rear for the rear brakes. If you  aren’t aware of this, like I wasn’t yesterday, the middle chamber looks like it’s for the rear (you can’t really see the rear very well without pulling the float sensor out).

So I bled and bled and didn’t see the level go down (of course I was looking at the middle chamber not the rear chamber), meanwhile sucking plenty of air into the rear lines because I emptied the real back reservoir. Anyway, I was wondering if anyone could tell me why it’s designed like this…what’s the middle chamber for?

More importantly, I discovered I have a clog in the left rear line probably the flex hose. I’ve ordered 4 new flex hoses from Millers. Any tricks or advice on removing and re-installing these?

Feel free to weigh in on either question or both. Thanks all!

al_lieffring

Re: Brake Master Cylinder Resevoir
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2008, 18:17:51 »
Paul

I have seen brake resiviors with a sealed off hose fitting for a clutch master cylinder. ATE (the OEM suppliier) has subbed to this tank made for other (non-Mercedes ?) applications that do not use a seperate clutch resivior.