Author Topic: Transporting a 230SL  (Read 4049 times)

IXLR8

Transporting a 230SL
« on: May 11, 2009, 15:44:24 »
Hi--

I am planning on towing a manual transmission 230SL on a 2 wheel dolly for about 1,100 miles in June. The 2 wheel dolly lifts the front wheels and straps them to a platform. The rear wheels ride on the pavement.

This car is due for a restoration, but has all new panels welded in--floor, 1/4, trunk, etc.

The car has about 68,000 miles on it.

Will there be a problem towing this car for that distance? Will there be a problem pulling the car with the front wheels if the sub-frame mounts and motor mounts are old?

What about the rear-end, differential, drive shaft support bearing, etc?

What should I start to worry about?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Joe

glenn

Re: Transporting a 230SL
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2009, 16:14:13 »
Recently did two tows, 600 and 900 miles.  One was a 230SL on a two wheel dolly with the rear wheels on the dolly.  Second was a 280SE coupe with all four wheels on the trailer.  Generally, liked all four wheels on the trailer.  The two wheel dolly has two swivel points - dolly trailer/vehicle ball and swivel on dolly.  This leads to a bit of swaying and fish tailing.  Over 45 mph down hill was a thrill!!   On the level and up hill was a little faster.  A lot depends on the tow vehicle size, too.   Rental fee was about the same.

waqas

• Platinum
  • USA, TX, Austin
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2009, 18:10:56 »
I can vouch for Glenn's assessment. The two-wheel dolly exhibits quite a bit of fish-tailing (Glenn's use of 'thrill' is quite a euphemism-- for me I think 'panic' would be more appropriate). I've since only rented the four-wheel kind. It is far more stable (and about the same price). It does require a higher capacity hitch setup.

If you do decide to use the two-wheel dolly, the sub-frame mounts should be fine, as long as your leaf-springs are intact and secure, as well as the rear [transmission] mount. Make sure you wrap some safety chains around the torsion bar, and/or chassis cross-members at the front.
Waqas (Wa-kaas) in Austin, Texas

IXLR8

« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2009, 11:49:39 »
Hi--

I brought the baby home yesterday. Used the two-wheel dolly.

It tracked fine but 65 was the best maximum speed.  Above that, the dreaded fishtailing began.

All in all, an uneventful jaunt.

Now, the fun begins....

Joe

glenn

« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2009, 21:13:12 »
Good---  A few details,  Where to where?  Which wheels on the dolly-front or rear?  If front, was propeller shaft disconnected?  65 mph down hill?  Plates on dolly?  insurance?  etc?

IXLR8

« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2009, 00:54:32 »
Details--

Tow vehicle: 2009 Ford Expedition (outstanding vehicle!)

From Northern MI to coastal SC. At 60 MPH +/-, it was a 21 hour trip.  Love those audio books!

Front wheels on the dolly. Plates on the dolly rotate about 20 degrees and assist in turns.  Front tires bound in in a webbing sling.

Prop shaft installed--4 speed manual.

Occasionally, up to 70 MPH downhill, but I would touch the brakes to keep from running any faster due to the tendency to wiggle.

I have Hagerty Classic Car Insurance in my other two cars--'73 Thing with 33,000 miles and '81 380SL with 32,000 miles.  Hagerty automatically covers any car you buy for 30 days without prior notification to them.

Anyone wish to buy a nearly new tow dolly??

Drewtee

• Silver
  • England, Kent, Sevenoaks
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2009, 07:11:45 »
When towing i've found you get the best results (Limited Fishtailing) when you have the heavy end of the vehicle or trailer being towed at the front or as close to the tow poll as possible. Saying that, i've never towed a Pagoda before.
Andy Tee

Rhd 5 speed 728h with parchment interior
White Californian 280sl LHD
W111 3.5 Cab and Coupe both RHD