Author Topic: Buying cars internationally  (Read 3729 times)

Eryck

Buying cars internationally
« on: August 03, 2009, 14:36:07 »
Greetings to all.  Given the international nature of this forum, I am sure that there are many members that have experience in buying a car from another country without traveling there to complete the transaction. 

I have too but previously, the amount wasn't large and I bought it from a dealer so I took the risk.

What about if it's a substantial amount and the seller is an individual?  Do you normally just do it based on trust or you use escrow?  If escrow, which one? 

Thanks in advance. 

Peter van Es

• Honorary Member
  • Platinum
  • Netherlands, North Holland, Nederhorst Den Berg
Re: Buying cars internationally
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2009, 15:34:53 »
If the amount is big enough.... go there yourself!

Peter
1970 280SL. System Admin of the site. Please do not mail or PM me questions on Pagoda's... I'm not likely to know the answer.  Please post on the forum instead!

Eryck

« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2009, 15:38:51 »
Yeah....that would be ideal....but from Hong Kong to Michigan.....yikes!

Peter van Es

• Honorary Member
  • Platinum
  • Netherlands, North Holland, Nederhorst Den Berg
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2009, 15:41:22 »
There's a couple of expert members in the Michigan area, in fact I was just visiting mdsalemi there last week! Contact him!

Then again, if the amount is large (say $50K upwards) I'd probably get on a plane to look myself...

Peter
1970 280SL. System Admin of the site. Please do not mail or PM me questions on Pagoda's... I'm not likely to know the answer.  Please post on the forum instead!

Eryck

« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2009, 04:49:08 »
Thanks, Peter.  I am now thinking about flying there.

I actually paid an 'expert' to inspect the car for me.  So that's covered.  The only concern I have is that I have to make the wire payment first so there is always a risk that the seller takes off with the money and don't give me the car!  That's really my concern. 

66andBlue

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Solana Beach
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2009, 17:45:21 »
... Do you normally just do it based on trust or you use escrow?  If escrow, which one? 
Eryck,
I would always use an escrow agent. Most banks have a contact/correspondence bank in the vicinity of the purchase location that could act as the escrow agent. Ask your bank for help.
Alfred
1964 230SL manual 4-speed 568H signal red
1966 230SL automatic 334G light blue (sold)
1968 280SL automatic (now 904G midnight blue)