Author Topic: Fuel Tank Clog-Help  (Read 7153 times)

BMWTom

Fuel Tank Clog-Help
« on: November 11, 2009, 23:55:53 »
Hello everyone,

A few months ago I had a guy clean and reline my gas tank. I changed all my fuel lines and cleaned everything out and finally put the tank in today. I put six gallons of fuel in it because the system was dry, but the car wouldn't start. Turns out that fuel is not even coming out of the tank! After reading over the technical manual section on this we-site on fuel tanks, I have come to the conclusion that the problem is likely to be a clogged inlet to the flower pot in the fuel tank. It probably got plugged up with the gas tank liner.

At this point I think that my choices are a) drain the tank and try to find the inlet with a wire and unclog it b) drain the tank and take it back to the guy who lined it and see if he can fix it or c) buy a new aftermarket fuel tank from K & K (ouch!!!!). Any experience or recommendations would be appreciated.

ja17

• Platinum
  • USA, OH, Blacklick
Re: Fuel Tank Clog-Help
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2009, 04:21:54 »
Hello.

Make a copy of he information for you tank guy when you bring it back. The fuel feed tube and/or manifold in the tank could be clogged with sealer or the flower pot opening could be clogged as you mentioned. These passages can be cleared.
Joe Alexander
Blacklick, Ohio
1969 Dark Olive 280SL
2002 ML55 AMG (tow vehicle)
2002 SLK32 AMG (350 hp)
1982 300TD Wagon turbo 4spd.
1963 404 Mercedes Unimog (Swedish Army)
1989 flu419 Mercedes Unimog (US Army)
1998 E430
1974 450SLC Rally
1965 220SE Finback

geezer

« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2009, 12:19:43 »
On my 280SE the opening to the "flower pot" and the fuel lines could be cleared while the tank was in the car.  I was able to gain access through the tank sender opening and shining a light through the screen opening on the bottom.  I used an old speedometer cable for the  2 fuel lines and wire coat hanger for the inlet opening to the "flower pot".  Alas that was not good enough for my tank since it was full of dirt, goo, & rust form sitting derelict too long..  I ended up going to a metal stripper.

Bottom line in your case is that all may not be lost if you can get access through the sender hole in the tank.

merrill

• Platinum
  • USA, TX, Austin
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2009, 13:36:33 »
I too had problems when I lined my fuel tank.  I used an eastwood product.

no matter how careful I was, one of the openings in the flowerpot was obstructed.

I took the tank to a radiator / fuel tank repair shop to open the hole.
They drilled a hole in the tank to gain access to the clog in the flowerpot.

Once the opening in the flower pot was cleared they actually welded a fitting on the tank for me so if the tank clogged in the future I could clear that opening my self.

Matt
Austin Tx
66 230 sl - "white"
78 300 D - Blue
98 C230

glenn

« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2009, 15:22:38 »
 There is a plastic tank (shroud)  holding a quart of fuel in the center bottom of the gas tank.   It is filled from the big tank two ways- one, over the top if the gas tank is 3/4 or so full, two, at the bottom by gas returning from the FIP or gas entering from the tank around the 10 mm pipe FIP return line(12 mm square hole with the 10 mm pipe in it).  If that space is filled with gunk or tank sealer, no gas in!   
   Try filling the tank above the one quart shroud level  or pouring a quart of gas in the level sender hole into the one quart shroud.
   Running the electric fuel pump without gas(lubrication) is not good.     

Witt

« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2009, 00:18:25 »
Unbeknown to me for a couple of years the fuel pick- up in my tank was the root of all my driving problems. After it was diagnosed by my trusted SL expert and fellow mechanic, he removed most of the offending parts and modified the fuel pick- up and there was peace in the valley....

Initially I also had the tank send out for cleaning shortly after I bought the car......that probably caused more harm than good....

CHEERS !
WITT !

BMWTom

« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2009, 04:39:27 »
Thanks everyone for your help. I'm thinking that the best thing to do is to take the tank out, pull the sender and drain plug, let it air out for a couple of days and then see if I can get in their like a dentist with mirrors and lights and find the clog. Wish me luck!

hkollan

• Associate Member
  • Gold
  • Spain, Castilla-La Mancha
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2009, 23:48:07 »
At this point I think that my choices are a) drain the tank and try to find the inlet with a wire and unclog it b) drain the tank and take it back to the guy who lined it and see if he can fix it or c) buy a new aftermarket fuel tank from K & K (ouch!!!!). Any experience or recommendations would be appreciated.

Personally I would consider option d) if you really need a new tank. The aftermarket tanks that I have seen does not even come close a new factory fuel tank when it comes to finish and quality. Pretty pricey the originals though.
Hans K, Cuenca, Spain
1968 280 SL 387 Blue met., parchment leather
1971 280 SL 462 Beige met, Brown leather
1968 280 SL 180 Silver, Red leather
1964 300 SE Lang 040 Black w/Red leather
1985 500 SL 735 Astral Silver w/Black leather
1987 560 SEC 199 Black met., Black leather

BMWTom

« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2009, 22:05:21 »
Thanks for your reply Hkollan,

I am going to check on the price of the dealer as opposed to K & K tomorrow. Not sure if there will be a big difference. I have already purchased and installed a new sender and seals on my old tank. I am dying to get the car running again!

Witt

« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2009, 02:00:29 »
......as I recall we gained access to the fuel pick up devises through the bottom of the tank. Removal of the tank was not necessary and after my mechanic  finished the modification he sealed it up again, with what product I don't remember but can find out.
It may be worth checking the tank that way ?!

CHEERS !
WITT !

menesesjesse

• Silver
  • USA, MD, Indian Head
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2009, 15:57:12 »
I cleared a clog from my gas tank by removing the tank and using a cut steel braided cable on the end of a drill.  The braids opened up while the drill was running and I eventually cleared the clog all the way through to the flower pot.  Do this only with the tank removed and be very careful.
jesse
Jesse
1966 Mercedes 230 SL auto
2003 Mercedes E500
1992 Ford F150
1994 Ford Bronco
2019 Shelby GT350R
1967 Mercury Cougar XR7