Author Topic: The Star Magazine: Pagoda Articles for 2010  (Read 7674 times)

mdsalemi

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, NC, Davidson
The Star Magazine: Pagoda Articles for 2010
« on: November 18, 2009, 13:04:30 »
...yet another reason for you to join the MBCA if you have not already.

I have the publisher's editorial calendar in front of me through the September/October 2010 issue.

The Jan/Feb 2010 issue is scheduled to include an article on the Taylor/Hatch V8 power in a Pagoda.
The July/Aug 2010 issue is scheduled to include an article on a 280SL with a Ford 302 V8 conversion.
March/April will have a profile on Rudi Uhlenhaut

Also on the schedule: buyer's guides to 111/112; 108/109.  190SL restoration.

Obviously there's plenty more of interest but thought I'd share with you some things that might particularly suit a Pagoda owner.
Michael Salemi
Davidson, North Carolina (Charlotte Area) USA
1969 280SL (USA-Spec)
Signal Red 568G w/Black Leather (Restored)
2023 Ford Maverick Lariat Hybrid "Area 51"
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid
2023 Ford Escape Hybrid

domingo_santo

Re: The Star Magazine: Pagoda Articles for 2010
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2009, 04:44:04 »
Hello Michael,

How can one subscribe to it?

best regards,

Juan T. Santos.

lurtch

• Silver
  • USA, CA, Santa Rosa
  • " ICON 66 "
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2009, 20:56:56 »
Hello All - - - I agree,  all Pagodaphiles should subscribe to STAR. It immerses us into the larger Mercedes-Benz fraternity.

Blatant opinionated remark follows:

Where I live, I have personally seen three different iterations of these 302 Ford conversions. Though I am not a show-car Pagoda purist,  I CRINGE EVERY TIME I SEE ONE. I refer to this  as  - - - "butchering a Classic", thereby diminishing its value by about HALF.

Regards,   Larry in CA     

Larry Hemstreet  in  N. Cal.

1966  230SL  (restored) Met. Anthracite w/ Maroon leather
1981  300TD-T (Concours condition, 86K, GETRAG 5sp.)
1982  300TD-T (parted out)
1986  560SEC (totaled)
1991  300TE (gifted)
1998  E320 (sold)
2004  E320 wagon (gifted)
2008  CLK550 Cabriolet

Naj ✝︎

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • United Kingdom, Surrey, New Malden
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2009, 21:07:37 »
Hello Michael,

How can one subscribe to it?

best regards,

Juan T. Santos.

Hello, Juan,

Join here:

http://www.mbca.org/pages_r/new_app/n1_js.htm

naj
« Last Edit: December 13, 2009, 21:09:08 by naj »
68 280SL

domingo_santo

« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2009, 22:50:07 »
Thanks,   Naj.

mdsalemi

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, NC, Davidson
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2010, 00:07:10 »
FYI the latest issue of The Star just came out...

There is an article on the Hatch 3.5 Pagodas.  Sounds like they are making an $8K kit available.  All you need is one of those Pagodas with a California-perfect rust free body but a blown engine; a 3.5 coupe from a junkyard, their "kit".

Might help to fill the coupe with cash, too.  But, nice article and nice to see the Pagoda getting good press...
Michael Salemi
1969 280SL (USA-Spec)
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid
2023 Ford Escape Hybrid

Richard Madison

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • USA, NY, New York
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2010, 01:56:44 »
Star Magazine is a good read and is even better under its new editor but I have mixed feelings about the articles mentioned...

Of course if a "correct" engine is not available or if car is headed for the crusher then maybe a different engine is justified if it saves the car...but to install more power just for sake of power will reduce the population of Pagoda's by yet another car...in my view, a Pagoda with a 302 engine is no longer a Pagoda.

I'd like to see us encourage preservation and restoration rather than modification. If someone wants a more powerful car or a car with a 302 engine, let them buy a different car and leave the Pagodas unmolested.

Maybe I'm too conservative, unrealistic, or living-in-the past, but I hope Larry and I are not alone  on this.

Richard M, NYC
1969 280 SL, Tunis Beige, Euro Model (Italy).

mdsalemi

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, NC, Davidson
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2010, 13:16:00 »
I think the general consensus of both the MBCA and this group is in the preservation of the cars, and adherence to originality.

However in keeping with the times, and not to discourage members, the MBCA has been welcoming, sort of, of modifications.  There are these Pagodas done by a well known restorer fully capable (with resume to prove it) of 100% preservation and restoration to original standards as an example.  I also wrote an article last year, (to be published later this year) about a W126 conversion.

Not being inclusive breeds exclusivity and creates "fringe" groups.  The MBCA at least, wants to try to bring these back in.  One way of doing it is not being so dismissive of modifications.

FWIW, I cringe at such things on such a collectible as a Pagoda; I'm far more accepting on a car like the W126 of which many more thousands were made, in many variants, and for which "special tuning" shops have existed for years.  Modifications are a natural on this car.
Michael Salemi
1969 280SL (USA-Spec)
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid
2023 Ford Escape Hybrid

Raymond

• Platinum
  • USA, FL, Jacksonville
    • GemstoneMediaInc.com
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2010, 22:14:05 »
The good news is that there are thousands of well-preserved Pagodas out there.  There are plenty to satisfy even the most persnickety of Concours judges.  I admire owners like Mike Salemi, and Bob Possel who have gone to such great lengths and expense to restore their cars to such a beautiful state.  I also admire the originality of the mechanical fuel injection and the torquey little straight 6 engine.  So I know there will always be plenty of examples of originality to see whenever I like.

However, it is the body style and the pagoda roof that are the real attractions.  So, if you can have the style of our great cars, and the better performance from a newer, more powerful engine, why not?  It's your car, make it yours!  I am much happier with my car since I installed a 5-speed transmission.  I am happier because I have experimented with my springs and found the combination that is right for me.  I am making other mods that don't change the outward appearance but make my driving experience better.  I rebuilt my engine myself in my own garage for the experience of it.  If someday I decide to replace it with a fuel efficient, high performance V-8, I won't hesitate do that.  As long as the change makes the owner happy, he should do it. 

If a car can be pulled out of a river and restored, I'm not worried that a modified car can be returned to standard.
Ray
'68 280SL 5-spd "California" Coupe

abe280SL

« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2010, 02:16:34 »
Its a butcher job and it should not be done...period.   Keep iit original...there are alot of 280 engines out there so I don't see the point of doing what they do.
abe

hauser

« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2010, 04:32:55 »
With the work that was done and the caliber of the restoration and modifications he's done it's a very nice car.  Also remember that everything is also reversible to stock.  It's not for everyone but it does appeal to a certain group. 

While Hatch has gone with what was available at the time (period correct) Mechatroinc went all out using modern engines, electronics and creature comforts found on today's cars.

This isn't something new.  Car builders and restorers along with hot rodders have done this for quite some time.  They're call resto mods.   

When Bob Hatch first unveiled his cars a few years ago I ad the opportunity to discuss how the cars were performing.  He said it was better than driving a Ferrari. 

The thing to remember here is that it is all reversible. ;D