Author Topic: Alignment and balancing the tires - WOW!  (Read 5303 times)

Cees Klumper

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, De Luz and Los Angeles
    • http://SL113.org
Alignment and balancing the tires - WOW!
« on: March 10, 2003, 14:16:23 »
Today I had the car aligned and the wheels balanced. Since I bought it, I had not had it aligned. I don't know why not, just one of those things I had not really thought about.
My car (and, as a result, I) suffered from a slight vibration between ca. 50-60 MPH that would come back at higher speeds (around 75 MPH and upwards) and although several measures served to reduce this vibration (new tires, swapped rear-axle with a 3.69 rather than a 4.08 ratio, and new engine and transmission mounts), the vibration never really went away. Until today - the alignment and wheel balance did the trick, vibration all gone. It turned out that two of my steel rims have a slight wobble, that was eliminated by careful balancing. I watched the guy do it, and he really kept at it, moving the balancing weight milimeters at a time, until it was within acceptable range. I can imagine that, normally, they don't always take their time like that.
Added benefit of the alignment: the steering wheel is now perfectly straight (at least, when I am driving straight). The whole procedure cost $75, and about one hour, while I waited.

As an aside: the shop manager told me that the Michelin classic tire line, which included the proper original-spec tires for our Pagoda, has recently been discontinued, within only two years after its introduction. They were expensive (I believe upwards of $300 each) but at least they were available ...

Cees, jitter-free

white 1969 280 SL
Cees Klumper
1969 Mercedes 280 SL automatic
1968 Ford Mustang 302 V8
1961 Alfa Romeo Giulietta Sprint Coupe 1600
1962 FIAT 1500S OSCA convertible
1972 Lancia Fulvia Coupe 1.3
1983 Porsche 944 2.5
1990 Ford Bronco II

Douglas

Re: Alignment and balancing the tires - WOW!
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2003, 11:41:23 »
great advice, cees.

so were you tires wearing evenly before the adjustments?
« Last Edit: March 13, 2003, 11:43:03 by Douglas »

Albert-230SL

« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2003, 12:09:27 »
Hi Cees,

this shop manager doesn't know the last information about the Michelin classic tire line, because Michelin is making the tire MXV-P 185HR14 again. The Spanish "Michelin classic tire line" importer already has them for 184.50 Euros plus taxes, each.

Maybe he doesn't know that info, because Michelin has changed the distribution of the classic line from the "modern tire line" importers to specialized companies in classic tires.

Regards,

Albert de la Torre Chavalera
Barcelona (Catalunya/Spain)
Feb.'64 230 SL Euro Manual

Cees Klumper

• Platinum
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2003, 16:06:51 »
Well, this particular tire place services many classic car clubs (like Citroen DS and Rover) and have a good chunk of the classic car business in Amsterdam (which relatively speaking has a very large number of classic cars people use for daily use, like Volvo's, VW Beetles, Ctroen DS's and, of course, Mercedes). I asked him specifically, so if Michelin IS in fact still producing these classic tires, they are sure missing a lot of business here in The Netherlands, since they keep it such a well-guarded secret.

My tires did appear to be wearing evenly, although modern tires like the Pirelli's I have (205's) wear very slowly. I just put the first new set of tires on my C-class Mercedes a few months ago, after over 70,000 km ...

Cees,

white 1969 280 SL
Cees Klumper
1968 Ford Mustang 302 V8
1983 Porsche 944 2.5
1990 Ford Bronco II

Albert-230SL

« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2003, 07:18:13 »
Hi Cees,

Perhaps the problem is that the distribution change of the Michelin classic tire line is very recent. The new importer for the Netherlands probably hasn't had time enough to communicate and advertise the new situation.

I know this change because I personally know the Spanish importer, but he is starting to advertise next month. If the Spanish importer already has received the remanufactured MXV-P 185HR14, I guess they should be in the Netherlands as well. He will ask Michelin about the importer for the Netherlands, and I will inform you.

Best regards,

gwuisman

• Senior
  • Netherlands, Zuid-Holland, Oegstgeest
  • Keep it simpel
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2003, 14:42:08 »
Cees,
I bought the Michelin tires two months ago at the classic center in Fellbach near Stuttgart. The son of the person where my car is garaged in winter is an employee of AUDI next to Fellbach. He has an easy access to the classic center. I could ask him to get a set for you. He was told that Michelin produced a limmited number of the tires. They would be sold out soon.
Gerard.

Cees Klumper

• Platinum
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2003, 17:00:12 »
Thank you Gerard. My Pirelli's still have about 40,000 km to go, so I will wait for that to come around (should be about three years). By that time, I hope we have some good options in the original width and height.

Cees

white 1969 280 SL
Cees Klumper
1968 Ford Mustang 302 V8
1983 Porsche 944 2.5
1990 Ford Bronco II

Albert-230SL

« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2003, 03:16:19 »
Hi Cees,

The Michelin classic line importer for the Netherlands is:

OLDTIMER b.v
Industrieweg 31                                                      5591 JL Heeze - Nederlands
Tel. : 00 31 (0) 40 22 63 303                                  
Fax : 00 31 (0) 40 22 63 816
http://www.oldtimerbv.nl
e-mail : hekker@oldtimerbv.nl

I'm posting in a separate topic the complete list of the Michelin classic line importers all over the world.

Regards,

jameshoward

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • United States, New Jersey (formerly of London)
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2007, 05:54:27 »
Cees/Anyone else,

I've done a lot of suspension-type work on my car (shocks, rubbers, springs in and out, bushes, etc) over recent months and I'd like to get the car's tracking done.

I don't have any of the wobbles Cees mentioned.

I've booked it in for Friday, but the garage just called to say that they've never done a Pagode before so if they're unsure how, they won't touch it. (It's a large German firm called Vergolst).

My question: to help them (to help me) can you tell me where I might find the book settings for the car so they have a reference to work from? (I know nothing about tracking, so I assume there is a correct set of numbers - please tell me if not).

Mine is a US '66 230SL, manual, power steering.

Any advice gratefully received.

JH
James Howard
1966 LHD 230SL

mdsalemi

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, NC, Davidson
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2007, 08:04:02 »
Hello James,

Any competent shop should be able to get this information; it's on the MB service manuals and is job 40-0/7.  Also, the information is published in the Technical Data book for these cars.  That being said, here's a summary:

Car must be "ready for driving" with tire pressures and weight: this is something like 2 x 65kg weights on the front seats and 40kg in trunk.

What I've done, James, is email you the section of the book so you can just give it to the guys.  You want the column next to the far right which is 230/250/280SL.

Michael Salemi
1969 280SL
Signal Red 568G w/Black Leather (Restored)
President, International Stars Section
Mercedes-Benz Club of America
Michael Salemi
Davidson, North Carolina (Charlotte Area) USA
1969 280SL (USA-Spec)
2023 Ford Maverick Lariat Hybrid "Area 51"
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid
2023 Ford Escape Hybrid

jameshoward

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • United States, New Jersey (formerly of London)
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2007, 01:26:54 »
Hi Michael,

Many thanks for your advice and for the very kind offer of the tech data. I checked my email last night but couldn't find the document. The email address to which this account is linked is able to take large documents, as is the previous one we've used. However, I realise you may not have got round to sending it yet.

Either way, many thanks. I'll post the findings here next week.

James
James Howard
1966 LHD 230SL

mdsalemi

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, NC, Davidson
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2007, 06:56:17 »
James,

I'm concerened, as the files were .pdf and really not large at all--there are a total of 6 files, none larger then 56KB.  Send me an email and I'll reply to it maybe that will work.  I actually sent two emails to you, moments after the post.  My email address for you is a domain ending in army.mil; is there another?

Michael Salemi
1969 280SL
President, International Stars Section
Mercedes-Benz Club of America
Michael Salemi
Davidson, North Carolina (Charlotte Area) USA
1969 280SL (USA-Spec)
2023 Ford Maverick Lariat Hybrid "Area 51"
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid
2023 Ford Escape Hybrid