Author Topic: disc brake conversion  (Read 5578 times)

gatorjaws

disc brake conversion
« on: December 27, 2009, 04:20:04 »
I recently replaced seals, bearings,wheel cylinders & shoes on my 230. I am asking what all is involved in converting my car over to discs on the rear axels? Also is there an upgrade for front & rear brakes such as Brembo or something that I could buy instead of the stock single piston?

Raymond

• Platinum
  • USA, FL, Jacksonville
    • GemstoneMediaInc.com
Re: disc brake conversion
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2009, 14:24:28 »
Hi GatorJaws.  Welcome to our world.  I'm guessing that even though you live in Colorado, you're a U of F fan?

There are several posts on this conversion.  I think I recall one with photos.   

There are also good recent posts about the 15" wheel conversion. 

The search tool is very helpful.  You might also look in the Wiki.  Then many of us can help fill in the gaps if you don't come up with what you need.

Glad to have another Pagoda wrencher with us. 
Ray
'68 280SL 5-spd "California" Coupe

hauser

« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2009, 19:18:30 »
Urban Meyer is calling it quits due to health reasons.  His last game will be New Year's Day at the Sugar Bowl.  He will be missed.

66andBlue

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Solana Beach
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2009, 20:57:45 »
..  He will be missed.
??? Why, he didn't drive a Pagoda, or did he?  ;)
Alfred
1964 230SL manual 4-speed 568H signal red
1966 230SL automatic 334G light blue (sold)
1968 280SL automatic (now 904G midnight blue)

Garry

• Platinum
  • Australia, Victoria, Kyneton and Brisbane Queensland
  • Audit Committee
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2009, 21:32:28 »
And who is Urban Myer when he is home? ???
Garry Marks
Melbourne/ Kyneton, Brisbane. Australia
1969 MB 280SL 5 speed RHD SOLD.
1965 MB 230SL Auto RHD Lt Blue 334G, Top 350H, 213 Leather, Tourist Delivery.
1972 MB 280CE Auto RHD 906G Blue Grey
2005 MB A200.
2006 MB B200
2019 Izuzu DMax 4x4 with Slide-on camper.
2022 Volvo XC40 Twin Electric

hauser

graphic66

« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2009, 19:38:45 »
I converted my 66' 230SL to rear disc brakes. I was hesitant at first but the disc brakes are way better than the drums. They just have so much better "feel" and they seem to stop better. The change over consisted of a replacement rear axle, I went from a 4:08 to a 3:97, I really was hesitant because my stock axle was a 4:08 and I didn't like the idea of higher gearing, but it was such a small change I really never noticed the difference except that now my speedometer is right on as I had taken the speedometer out of the car that had the 3:97 axle, so the speedometer is probably calibrated to the axle in these cars.
   So, after my doing this job the things you will need are an axle with brakes; in my research I found that the axles on the drum brake cars are completely different from disc brakes, a brake proportioning valve; this is the very expensive doh dah that is above the rear axle and has the brake lines going to it to reduce the rear braking power needed to run 4 wheel disc brakes as the drum brakes are self proportioning by the wheel cylinder size. If you find a disc brake axle try and get this valve from the donor car if it has one. I serviced mine, they come apart very easily and are very simple and should be cleaned and checked if you get a used one. You will need the two rear brake hoses and all of the brake lines from the proportioning valve to the calipers. You will also need a master cylinder as those are different with disc brakes. While you have the axle out you will also need all the rubber parts like thrust arm bushings and donuts, spring pads, compensating spring pads etc. You will possibly need the pinion wrench and an inch pound dial reading torque wrench to set the pinion preload, this is a lot of fun. And while your in there you might as well put in new axle bearings and seals.
   This is a big job and just doing it to get disc brakes, in my opinion is just not worth it. I had a sudden differential failure and had a spare disc brake axle and  I had a spare drum brake axle. I decided to go the disc brake route and it was worth doing and the car does have much nicer braking.
   I haven't seen any upgraded brake parts for these cars except for brake pad material, brake hoses, and drilled rotors. I went with stock pads as that is what was in the front and they were fairly new and all the pads should match. When I replace my brakes next time I may go with the more expensive metallic pads as I have seen those make a big difference on cars I have had that had crappy brakes from the start, but these cars have very good brakes, even the drum brake cars stop very good.

jameshoward

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • United States, New Jersey (formerly of London)
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2009, 22:41:04 »
I have a late 230 with drums that is set up pretty well. The car brakes and stops superbly. I agree totally with Graphic66's point that changing axles just to get discs is verging on a waste of time if you have your drums brakes set up properly (drums are still used on modern cars and trucks built today). I have a replacement axle that I want to put on my car in order to get a more useful (for me) ratio. I have a 4,08 and the replacement is a 3,46. Work on the new axle started well, but then work and travel got in the way. I will pick it up again in the spring, I hope.

I would not change axles just to get discs, however. There are many threads on the forum on this topic; perhaps while away the winter evenings doing a bit of reading and see if you think it's worth the effort.

With new shoes and a good brake service, plus some time spent setting up the drums properly, I'm very happy with my braking - just not my gearing!
James Howard
1966 LHD 230SL