Author Topic: Windshield Installation-what I learned  (Read 4011 times)

George Des

Windshield Installation-what I learned
« on: March 01, 2004, 05:49:50 »
Just re-installed a brand new OEM windshield back into my 67 230SL project car. First let me say thanks to Joe Alexander for his help as well as to others who have contributed to the forum on this subject. I did learn some things.

I opted to use an OEM windshield out of originality. It was not cheap--about $600 and it is the clear one with the MB star in the corner. I tried to cheap it out on the window gasket by using a non-OEM one I won in an auction. Mistake number 1. I could not get this gasket onto the window after many hours playing with it. Because the slots in the gasket are not marked and the gasket was not shaped to the form of the windshield it was not intuitive how the thing went on.

In frustration, I decided to get someone to come down and do the job. Fearing that I had the wrong gasket, I ordered a new OEM one from Ray Paul. When the gasket arrived, it became painfully obvious why I had so much trouble with the non-OEM version. I was able to get this gasket and the ornamental frame onto the windshiled with minimum effort, so I decided I'd give the installation another try using the "rope" trick.

My first attempts ended in frustration. I again decided to call in someone to do the installation--easier said than done. Every call I made turned into a "we only install our own glass", we don't do mobile service on those older type cars, or we only install glue in type windshields".

Now I was really frustrated because the windshield installation was holding up re-assembly of the whole dash, including the wood trim which I had out along with all the instruments. I decide I'd take another crack at this job, but before hand I did a very thorough inspection of the seal again.

It now became obvious that there was no way that this windshield would go into the window slot the way I had the rope arranged. Again there are many slots on these seals and they are not marked and it isn't intutitive as to which is which even on the OEM seal. Upon very close inspection, I noticed that the slot where the rope is supposed to go is hidden under a ribbed flap and takes some doing to both see and open. Once I soaped this up, placed the plastic clothes line in, put the window into the opening and pulled on the rope, the window started to go into place just as it is supposed to.

The window is now in and the car is starting to go back together. What did I learn? The job can be done at home by the average person, stay OEM with the seal, and inspect the seal very closely to determine how the rope is placed--Good luck to all of you face with this job.

George Des

drewsalisbury

Re: Windshield Installation-what I learned
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2004, 22:11:44 »
George - did you take any pictures?  A picture of the gasket with the rope in it would be good guide.
Drew
1971 280sl - needs new windshield

Drew Salisbury

Benz Dr.

• Vendor
  • Platinum
  • Canada, ON, Port Lambton
  • Benz Dr.
Re: Windshield Installation-what I learned
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2004, 22:29:20 »
It's a well known fact that the repro winshield seal doesn't fit very well. I've seen where they were 3 inches too long and would never go in.
Some repro stuff is just fine but not windshield seals. You need a perfect fit or it will leak and there's always the chance the glass will break due to poor fit.

Dan c
SL Barn

Daniel G Caron
1966 230SL 5 speed, LSD, header pipes, 300SE distributor, ported, polished and balanced, AKA  ''The Red Rocket ''
Dan Caron's SL Barn

1970  3.5 Coupe
1961  190SL
1985   300CD  Turbo Coupe
1981  300SD
2013  GMC  Sierra
1965  230SL
1967 250SL
1970 280SL
1988 560SEC