Author Topic: New Style Timing Chain Guide Rails  (Read 5466 times)

paul_GB

• Senior
  • United Kingdom, England, Waterlooville
New Style Timing Chain Guide Rails
« on: March 24, 2010, 21:42:13 »
Anyone able to give me some guidance (pardon the pun) on the 'direction' the two chain guide rails are mounted in the block please..? I am having to discard my original alloy/rubber set for the cheapo new plastic style ones. Ive read thro previous threads on timing chain/guide topics with no luck. All Ive gleaned is that fitting these new guides introduces another feature to worry about  ??? i.e. they can break up and do damage. Help is much appreciated as always..

1.  Smaller guide - I am guessing the thin end of the guide points up
2.  Larger guide - not sure which way round it goes (altho its less wedge shaped than the smaller one)

Cheers
Paul
Paul
1964 230SL - Dark Blue

mbzse

• Platinum
  • Sweden, Stockholm, Stockholm
Re: New Style Timing Chain Guide Rails
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2010, 23:12:57 »
Quote from: paul_GB
... guidance (pardon the pun) on the 'direction' the two chain guide rails are mounted in the block please..?

See diagram below.

I am having to discard my original alloy/rubber set for the cheapo new plastic style one
Actually, the new style is fully ok, at least as long as you buy them from M-B. They are a nylon material,
quite durable. Note however, there absolutely should be no contact between guides and chain.
If there is contact, chain is too slack! This may be due to chain being too worn, or you have a faulty chain
tensioning device
/Hans in Sweden
« Last Edit: March 24, 2010, 23:18:56 by mbzse »
/Hans S

ja17

• Platinum
  • USA, OH, Blacklick
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2010, 00:12:06 »
Hello,

The original aluminum and rubber rails were tough. Eventually the rubber would harden and may cause a little noise as the chain slapped against the hard rubber. In some sever cases the rubber would wear away but the rubber would digest in the chains and gears without issue.

The new style work great for the first ten of fifteen years.  The modern plastics are tough and durable when new. Eventually age, engine heat, chemicles, UV and acids in the engine oil make the plastic brittle. Now days we are spending a lot of time fishing these broken plastic chain rails out of chains, oil screens etc. In some cases, broken plastic chain rails cause timing chain failure and catastrophic engine failure.

Hopefully the plastic material is being improved as time goes on. Accelerated life testing cannot predict every condition, only time will tell.

To sum things up......don't loose any sleep of it for at least ten years. As time goes on make sure that the timing chain is not getting too loose and slapping those old brittle plastic rails.  Also consider replacing the easy to get to ones as time goes on. New rails may be made of even more durable plastics in the future!
Joe Alexander
Blacklick, Ohio
1969 Dark Olive 280SL
2002 ML55 AMG (tow vehicle)
2002 SLK32 AMG (350 hp)
1982 300TD Wagon turbo 4spd.
1963 404 Mercedes Unimog (Swedish Army)
1989 flu419 Mercedes Unimog (US Army)
1998 E430
1974 450SLC Rally
1965 220SE Finback

paul_GB

• Senior
  • United Kingdom, England, Waterlooville
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2010, 15:24:02 »
Thanks gents. I did originally buy new guides from an on-line supplier (for a suspiciously very reasonable price - about $5 ea) and they are noticably less robust than the genuine MBZ ones Ive just bought (approx $38 ea). Needless to say Ive fiitted MBZ guides.. for peace of mind..!

Cheers
Paul

Paul
1964 230SL - Dark Blue

JimVillers

• Gold
  • USA, VA, Virginia Beach
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2010, 01:45:46 »
Paul ... I prefer the new nylon chain guides.  I first put them in my 190SL15 years ago and have used them in other MB engines since then.  After recently removing a broken aluminum guide rail from a 230SL engine, I don't trust the aluminum guides like I did before.  The nylon material is very tough.
Jim Villers
190SL, 230SL 5-Speed, MGB 5-Speed, MGB GT V8 RHD (real MG), 2016 SLK

ja17

• Platinum
  • USA, OH, Blacklick
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2010, 12:24:52 »
Hello,

I don't think you have a choice these days. Plastic is the only choice. Hopefully todays materials are improved and will stand the test of time. My everyday driver is  a nice Mercedes 560SEC 1986 that I got, not running.   The original, fifeteen year old plastic chain rails had become brittle and broke (previous owner).  The broken parts fell into the gears and caused the loose chain to jump. A new chain and a new set of plastic rails got it back on the road. Fortunately, in this case, no valves or pistons were damaged.

Joe Alexander
Blacklick, Ohio
1969 Dark Olive 280SL
2002 ML55 AMG (tow vehicle)
2002 SLK32 AMG (350 hp)
1982 300TD Wagon turbo 4spd.
1963 404 Mercedes Unimog (Swedish Army)
1989 flu419 Mercedes Unimog (US Army)
1998 E430
1974 450SLC Rally
1965 220SE Finback