Author Topic: Manual Shift Linkage; mystery "operating lever"  (Read 3158 times)

pagoden

• Senior
  • USA, MD, Silver Spring
Manual Shift Linkage; mystery "operating lever"
« on: April 07, 2010, 07:04:32 »
I disassembled the shift linkage on my 280sl because of a litltle play, persistent difficulty in engaging first gear (at rest), and one instance of missing first for reverse on a downshift...(one of those is too many, eh?).

The surprise is that all the usual suspects ($65.00 =  roughly 1/2 oz. of Delrin bushings) are in good shape, but there is one relatively small 'extra piece' left over, laying on top of the tranny case in line with the drive line on the left.  It's a black steel rod of ~5 mm diameter and 95 mm length, with ~25-30 mm flat projections at either end extending at 90 degrees off the main axis.

It doesn't appear in our Tech Manual illustration accompanying the linkage rebuild entry or in the Haynes manual drawing, but does show up in an an apparently identical exploded view in the #10808 M-B 113 parts book; Group 26, on page 22, #68 in the upper right corner: "operating lever".  

I can see that it mounts with 2 small "screws" to the "shifting shaft" (#12) alongside the housing on the top of the transmission, and projects forward, with its 'finger' on that end pointing to the left side of the car and angled slightly down from horizontal.  I cannot see where to engage the forward end when installed, can't find it illustrated or in any photos in BBB or others, so have no idea what this "operating lever" operates.  [Looks like it would work as a reverse switch actuator for backup lights, but that switch appears to screw directly into the case --or the linkage housing on top-- and over on the passenger side.  Much classier than this gizmo -- less likely to fall off, ahem.]

Whatever it does happens on the outside of the 4-speed manual gearbox; it's hard to imagine how it could have much affect on shifting.  It'll be a challenge to hang it back where it belongs, even without the issue of engaging the forward end as well, and I may still have the shifting issues.   Hassle.            [Transmission itself works fine, thankfully.]

Insights and experience on any of this much appreciated; tia,

Denny

1968/69 280SL, just+100k mi, manual 4, 3.46, both tops, 717/904