Author Topic: Paint Compounding & wax recomendation  (Read 4293 times)

k

Paint Compounding & wax recomendation
« on: March 09, 2004, 21:57:25 »
My car need to be compounded and waxed.

Any suggestion what grade compound to use? Process and wax?

Is this better done by pro w/buffers?

Thanks

Douglas

Re: Paint Compounding & wax recomendation
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2004, 22:12:47 »
This is a question for professional detailer Bob Geco.

Douglas Kim
New York, NY
280 SL #018260

n/a

« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2004, 17:08:45 »
What color is your car, and how badly is it oxidized ? Is it original paint ? Etc etc.

tom in CA

k

« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2004, 21:35:28 »
Hi,

Dark olive green (original); now its dull; white blemish around some edges.

I compounded it once 12 yars ago; and it came back glossy.

Bob G ✝︎

« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2004, 20:05:15 »
Orginal single stage enamal can be polished rather than using compound. Iwould recommend going to your local automobile paint supply store and purchasing a polishing lams wool pad these are finishining pads that are taned with oils to help them buff out the finish to a deep wet look. I would recommend a glaze with a paint cleaner in it that is not tooo strong that it will create more problems look at the 3-M paint polish line and one grand auto polishes. Next a machine polisher that will do a minimun of 1200 revolutions per minute to 2000 RPM.
Seasoning the pad with some polish to get  it started is a good idea. A dap of polish is all you will need about the siaze od a nickel Spread the polish into the finish lightly with the pad and the polisher turned off. Nex start from the center and work out ward a slow speed increase the speed and add polish as you begine to see the surface of the paint start to clear and become glosy. Never dry buff. alwaays leave a little residue on the paint as a lubbricant between the buffing pad and the paint.
Work hard to acess areas by hand or carfully with the polisher at low speed 500 to 1000 RPM.
After you are throught polishing the paint. the next step is to add a hand polish or glaze to add more deep crystal wet look than a coat of your favorite carnauba paste wax. I like Micro fiber towels to work with. They are a good investment and clean up easily in the wash.
Detailing is a dirty business so prepare to get dirty. I also recommend purchasing some 3-m blue masking tape and disasembing what ever you are confortable so doing to make the job easyer.
Once the paint is at the desired pitina, I recommend a hand polish in between waxing to maintain the gloss.

Bob Geco
« Last Edit: March 12, 2004, 14:26:32 by Bob G »

k

« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2004, 21:29:06 »
Wow! Bob, thanks for the detailed response; will follow.

Douglas

« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2004, 00:54:33 »
Bob, in all seriousness, you should sell all these items online. I would have no idea where to get these products and your recommendation about procedures and materials is invaluable.

On behalf of all old car owners everywhere, please consider a website with an e-commerce component!

Douglas Kim
New York, NY
280 SL #018260