Author Topic: Speedometer cable...need some advise .  (Read 2877 times)

ioang26

Speedometer cable...need some advise .
« on: April 19, 2010, 04:29:44 »
I am dropping the transmission of my '66 230SL and I finally removed the speedometer cable.
While I was removing ( I was really gentle) the seal just came off in hard little pieces.
My question is - when I reinstall it do I need a new seal to put before putting the cable back into the tranny?
Would it leak ? Any advise?
As always all info is greatly appreciated!

paul_GB

• Senior
  • United Kingdom, England, Waterlooville
Re: Speedometer cable...need some advise .
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2010, 22:08:04 »
.I have the same problem.. I have an early 230 auto and the rubber seal on the tranny end of the cable has disintegrated. I dont really want to replace the complete cable if I can avoid it.. does anyone know if the seal is available (from anywhere)..? Thanks
Paul
1964 230SL - Dark Blue

Bernd

Re: Speedometer cable...need some advise .
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2010, 13:11:11 »
along the same lines, on the instrument side there is a rubber piece on the original lines about 4cm long on both the speedo as well as the odo cable. Does anyone have any ideas on either where to get those, remanufacture perhaps, or are they only available as part of the whole (original) assembly. I have to new cables that I got from K&K that are the same as far as the actual cable is concerned, but they are definitely not identical at the instrument side nor in terms of the rubber covering