Author Topic: Oil Pan Leak  (Read 4067 times)

paul_GB

• Senior
  • United Kingdom, England, Waterlooville
Oil Pan Leak
« on: April 28, 2010, 20:49:07 »
I am planning to instal my engine back into the car after a rebuild. I topped up with engine oil to check for initial leaks.. (luckily). I used a new mbz gasket between the pan and the alloy sump casting.. after filling oil slowly seeped across the gasket and dripped. I removed the pan and then used Hylomar (blue) sealant instead of the gasket and again it seeps oil. Im about to take the pan off for another attempt... maybe with gasket and sealant this time, but Im thinking there may be more to this. The alloy mating faces look fine.. could the pan have a problem that is not obvious.? Has anyone else experienced similar..?

Thanks
Paul
Paul
1964 230SL - Dark Blue

w113dude

Re: Oil Pan Leak
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2010, 21:20:18 »
Hi Paul,

Sometimes this happens when the pan bolts are over tighten! did you use the right torque? Also use a straight edge to see if the pan lips are straight.

stickandrudderman

• Vendor
  • Platinum
  • United Kingdom, England, Richmond
    • http://www.colinferns.com
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2010, 22:24:30 »
And throw your Hylomar away and use Wellseal instead.
Nothing makes me more suspicious of an engine than when I see geat gobs of orange or blue hylomar or worse still silicone oozing out from between parts.
It tells me that the engine is ameteur built.

tel76

• Associate Member
  • Gold
  • United Kingdom, Isle of Man, Douglas
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2010, 07:29:18 »
I cannot agree with your adverse comments on the use of Blue Hylomar.Many years ago i worked for Rolls Royce(aero engine division at derby) and Blue Hylomar was the specified product that we HAD to use.
Eric

paul_GB

• Senior
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2010, 17:36:46 »
Thanks. I am probably guilty of overtightening the pan bolts. I've just re read the torque spec (In the book and on one of the forum threads) stating 0.8 MKG. I have certainly torqued them to more than that. That seems a very 'light' torque to me but clearly  correct. Iam hoping a new gasket & more accurate torquing will solve the prob. Just hope I haven't distorted the pan face..

Cheers       
Paul
1964 230SL - Dark Blue

stickandrudderman

• Vendor
  • Platinum
  • United Kingdom, England, Richmond
    • http://www.colinferns.com
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2010, 18:01:17 »
Paul,
You can easily tap the pan face with a light hammer and then dress with a file to get rid of the worst of the defomation, unless you've really gone overboard!

paul_GB

• Senior
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2010, 22:43:02 »
.. Ive carefully flattened the oil pan mating surface using selective light hammering followed by a gentle sanding. With the pan fitted I over filled it with oil (to above the pan/sump joint) to test the seal.. left it a few days and no visible leakage. I think its sorted ok (3rd time lucky).. Next step is to empty the excess oil and continue with bolting the engine to the gearbox and the instal into the car .... ;o)

Thanks
Paul
1964 230SL - Dark Blue