Author Topic: transmission linkage automatic  (Read 4322 times)

wd

transmission linkage automatic
« on: May 07, 2010, 01:15:32 »
I ordered the grommets to replace on my auto shift linkage from the shifter to the transmission.

Finally got to putting them on and have some issues, actually every step has an issue.

First I pulled the lever down to where I could see it and nothing remains of the grommet or what ever item was there to be held on by the cotter pin.  But there is a cotter pin going through a hole in the stud.  This has stopped me as I do not know what to think of it.  I  thought that I had seen something about later transmissions having a cotter pin but cannot  seem to find the thread.

Does anyone have any experience with this?  Do I need a different grommet/setup than I ordered? The grommets I have are the snap on grommets that seems standard.  I haven't pulled the shifter end yet, it also came off, but suppose the same situation probably awaits there.  Would appreciate any info.

Also if I were to be able to use the grommets I have:  the upper shift lever is aligned so that the bevel in the linkage eye is correct for pushing the beveled side of the grommet through but the trans mission link is opposite with the bevel going the wrong way.  I thought that it might be beveled on both sides to allow for adjustment but the otherside is
not beveled. Has a little shiny ring that looks like it might have been intended to be beveled.   Will there be any problems other than additional force to push the grommet through?  Wear or longevity problems?

« Last Edit: May 07, 2010, 01:19:44 by wd »

J. Huber

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Cedar Ridge
Re: transmission linkage automatic
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2010, 01:33:11 »
I ordered the grommets to replace on my auto shift linkage from the shifter to the transmission.

Finally got to putting them on and have some issues, actually every step has an issue.

First I pulled the lever down to where I could see it and nothing remains of the grommet or what ever item was there to be held on by the cotter pin.  But there is a cotter pin going through a hole in the stud.  This has stopped me as I do not know what to think of it.  I  thought that I had seen something about later transmissions having a cotter pin but cannot  seem to find the thread.

Does anyone have any experience with this?  Do I need a different grommet/setup than I ordered? The grommets I have are the snap on grommets that seems standard.  I haven't pulled the shifter end yet, it also came off, but suppose the same situation probably awaits there.  Would appreciate any info.

Also if I were to be able to use the grommets I have:  the upper shift lever is aligned so that the bevel in the linkage eye is correct for pushing the beveled side of the grommet through but the trans mission link is opposite with the bevel going the wrong way.  I thought that it might be beveled on both sides to allow for adjustment but the otherside is
not beveled. Has a little shiny ring that looks like it might have been intended to be beveled.   Will there be any problems other than additional force to push the grommet through?  Wear or longevity problems?

It has been a while but I do not think there are any cotter pins on mine. And I do remember the bushings only fit one way -- sadly don't remember which way it was...lot of help, eh? I think it is described in the wiki pretty well. I do know that to make bushing easier to press in, you can microwave them in some water to soften them up.
James
63 230SL

mbzse

• Platinum
  • Sweden, Stockholm, Stockholm
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2010, 10:27:22 »
Finally got to putting them on and have some issues .../...

This is an age-old posting about these matters... hopefully it is at least of some use for you
/Hans in Sweden
http://www.sl113.org/forums/index.php?topic=3717.0
/Hans S

wd

« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2010, 23:38:05 »
Thanks Hanz for the link.
Unfortunately it doesn't address the cotter pin issue.  I was waiting to see if someone would wade in on that issue so I just stopped working on the linkage to wait and see.  A 20 min job turns into days.
 I have never seen the stud or levers in person so to say.  This is my first hands on experience.  So I am looking at this stud that is long enough to have a hole drilled in it and cotter pin inserted.  Now the question is will the grommet fit on this stud or is it too long or not properly tapered? Or do all the studs have a hole for a cotter pin and just not normally utilized?   Concerned about it coming off/not snapping properly in place.  Again I thought I read something about later Pagodas having a pin.  So perhaps the grommet was held on as usual and a thin washer and pin used to prevent it popping off.
The transmission was overhauled at a Mercedes dealer.  Is there enough length to the standard stud that some tech might have drilled it out and put a washer and pin in as his preventitive maintenance idea?  
I know I don't want to get towed home again.  Note for folks driving through Washington State.  I never had to be towed before so I was unaware of this fact.  Since I did not have a cell phone with me the state patrol asked if I needed a tow and I said yes.  If you let them call the truck your rate is more than double as it is a contract with the state.   $562.00 to go less than 50 miles.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2010, 01:19:45 by wd »

wd

« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2010, 22:51:52 »
Ok.  The car was in a location where I could not jack it up.  I was trying to get this together by getting partial access.  I finally got access and good visibility.  It appears that someone added the cotter pin hole.  The transmission was rebuilt about 8k ago through a Mercedes dealership.  They were waiting on the motor from Metric and the PO had  the car gone through and a lot of stuff done that was not necessarily in need but just wanted to get it done including the transmission. Car had 82k on it when the motor had something go wrong.  So it appears that a tech drilled the hole as it is just at the very end of the stud and not as straight or clean as a factory piece would be done.  A good idea I suppose.  Perhaps that was  what was holding the linkage together at that end.  The upper grommet was very dry and the pieces were laying on the plate underneath. Probably not replaced at the rebuild.  So conundrum solved, humility lesson absorbed now onward with repairs. Ordering a few parts for the shifter as long as it is out. Thanks for those who helped.