Author Topic: brake hoses  (Read 2720 times)

badali

• Platinum
  • USA, Pa, Butler
  • 1966 230SL
brake hoses
« on: May 24, 2010, 03:41:51 »
Today I just changed one of the brake hoses on my 230 SL. The car was acting like the drivers rear was hanging up while braking and a bad vibration just as the car stopped. I found that all but the drivers rear had been replaced. This one was in a difficult place to reach so I would say the person changing the others skipped it. After I removed the hose I noticed it had a large blister full of fluid over half of the hose. The brakes are all in good working order now and the problem is corrected.

I would recommend changing all the hoses on older cars if they show any braking problems. The brake hoses are the simplest and least expensive part of the brake system. Alot of people think the calipers are bad and go right to changing them first but it is usually a bad hose that makes the car pull to one side during braking.
Brad

1961 220 Sb
1966 230 SL (Sold)
2019 E 450 4 Matic
2022 GLC 300 4 Matic

jacovdw

Re: brake hoses
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2010, 12:12:39 »
The service manual (BBB) recommends replacement of the brake flexhoses every 5 years. I wonder how often these recommendations are adhered to by mechanics.

New hoses bought from the dealers even have an expiry (or best before) date on the sticker with the part number.

glenn

Re: brake hoses
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2010, 13:18:30 »
Also, note you will lose braking capacity when the spring clip width is equal to or more than the rotor thickness plus the two pad(steel not included) thicknesses.