Author Topic: Crutchfield's Retrosound car stereo  (Read 9041 times)

shanghaitom

Crutchfield's Retrosound car stereo
« on: June 02, 2010, 16:36:44 »
Does anybody have experience with any of Crutchfield's line of "retrosound" car stereos?

They can be found here:

http://www.crutchfield.com/app/product/search/searchresults.aspx?SearchTab=Shop&us=2&search=retro&x=0&y=0

Wes Bender

Re: Crutchfield's Retrosound car stereo
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2010, 19:47:43 »
I purchased a RetroSound Model 1, but not from Crutchfield.  Bought it directly from RetroSound.  Apparently they market through quite a few retailers.

Their website is  http://www.retrosoundusa.com/

It's installed in a Porsche 356C and I'm quite happy with it.  One of the major items I like is the USB cable and connector.  It allows me to plug a flash drive into it with a TON of music on it.  You can also plug an ipod into the front panel of the radio.

The way they construct the unit, it is quite adaptable to many applications.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

« Last Edit: June 07, 2010, 19:51:41 by Wes Bender »

scoot

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Altadena
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2010, 20:51:14 »
Ewwww.
And no bluetooth.
And does one really want "retro sound" or does one want "retro look"?
Ewwwww.
Scott Allen
'67 250 SL (early)
Altadena, California

Wes Bender

« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2010, 21:31:19 »
I tend to agree, Scoot.   But he asked and I replied.  To each his own.   The 356C Porsche is my daily driver and had no radio.  (PO had installed a CD drive in the glove box, but I removed it.)  In that application, the Retrosound works well.

Replace the Becker in the 280SL?  Absolutely not.

Cheers,

Bullethead

« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2010, 02:44:42 »
If you have an original radio (or wish to install one for aesthetics) there are several sources for plug-ins for iPods and other devices.
This has been a good parts source for face plates and knobs, they also have adapter cables. There are a couple of US dealers with them as well.

http://www.koenigs-klassik.de/indexe.html

« Last Edit: June 21, 2010, 02:48:13 by Bullethead »

shanghaitom

« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2010, 15:14:18 »
Thanks.  I actually had some great luck.  I purchased both a 250 and a 280SL at the same time.  The radio is for the 250, which had an aftermarket replacement.  However, in digging into the non-running 280, I found a Europa II buried in the trunk!  Problem solved  :D

graphic66

« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2010, 17:36:00 »
I bought a Becker Grand Prix small opening model for my 230SL with the Search bar from a fellow on EBAY in Chicago. For an additional cost he wired in a plug to accept an IPOD or CD player etc. It works great and that single speaker is way loud with the external amp radio. It is only Mono, but I can only hear real good in one ear anyhow. It's great playing some 60's Dead in the car, it almost feels like I'm headin off to Woodstock, Don't Think Twice, It's Alright...

menesesjesse

• Silver
  • USA, MD, Indian Head
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2010, 18:14:22 »
With all these IPOD doodads out there I just bought a external tramitter for 50 bucks and I now play my ipod through the radio.  No splicing or messing with wiring and you can always use the xmitter on your other car. Sound Quality is the same as most 40yr old radios.  OK but not like my home theater system at home.
Jesse
1966 Mercedes 230 SL auto
2003 Mercedes E500
1992 Ford F150
1994 Ford Bronco
2019 Shelby GT350R
1967 Mercury Cougar XR7

graphic66

« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2010, 15:18:46 »
I bought one of those and it didn't really work at all. What kind did you get?