Author Topic: petronix ignition installation  (Read 26742 times)

jaymanek

Re: petronix ignition installation
« Reply #25 on: July 08, 2010, 17:01:52 »
Im really tempted by pertronix after reading so many good reviews.. Are there any UK suppliers?

jacovdw

« Reply #26 on: July 08, 2010, 17:12:04 »
James,

You can have a look at this website: http://www.vintageperformance.com/retrorockets/ignitor.htm

You don't have to change the Bosch red coil that you are using at present. In conjunction with the 1.8 Ohm ballast resistor it will work fine with the Pertronix setup.
I am currently using the Bosch red coil and associated ballast resistor in both my pagoda (since October 2007) and W114 (since 1997) without any problems.

For me it was a question of keeping the stock look in the engine compartment with the coil and ballast resistor setup.

Cees Klumper

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, De Luz and Los Angeles
    • http://SL113.org
« Reply #27 on: July 08, 2010, 18:54:18 »
Just to reiterate - while elecrtonic ignition modules like the Pertronix are a great improvement to many, they cannot compensate for wear and tear in the basic distributor unit. If your distributor has issues, it may need to be replaced or rebuilt; for rebuilds I would personally recommend Dr Dan. But another option that has come on the market relatively recently is the 123 combination distributor + electronic ignition all in one unit. It is more expensive than a Pertronix unit, but (much) cheaper than a new distributor + Pertronix (or other electronic ignition module).
On my car, I first rebuilt the distributor, then added electronic ignition and then, based on the positive reviews, sprung for the 123 unit anyway, and it made a marked improvement in running characteristics. Sorry to hijack this thread, but since lots of people are following it, I thought it would be good to call out this alternative. Of course, no relationship with 123 manufacturer (even though they, like me, are Dutch).
Cees Klumper
1969 Mercedes 280 SL automatic
1968 Ford Mustang 302 V8
1961 Alfa Romeo Giulietta Sprint Coupe 1600
1962 FIAT 1500S OSCA convertible
1972 Lancia Fulvia Coupe 1.3
1983 Porsche 944 2.5
1990 Ford Bronco II

mdsalemi

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, NC, Davidson
« Reply #28 on: July 08, 2010, 19:26:46 »
Jim, I bought mine at Summit Racing.  Easy find on the web, good price.

Jaco is correct, you don't need to change the coil, but you can get a better and cleaner running with higher voltage, and the "Flame Thrower II" coil comes in black for a "retro" look.  I left other parts in place, condenser and ballast so the look is essentially the same.  Pay careful attention to his previous post on part number.  I've had both the Bosch (16KV?) and the Pertronix coil, and the latter is better.  Very smooth runniing.  Don't want to spend the extra $30?  Keep the Bosch.

Cees is 110% correct.  I add the extra 10% because sometimes the idea is to "fix a problem" with electronic ignition and that is a path you probably don't want to go down.  If your distributor is worn, it will still be worn with a Pertronix, or Crane or anything else.  You have to have the ignition system working reasonably well before a change; else you are just looking for troubles.
Michael Salemi
Davidson, North Carolina (Charlotte Area) USA
1969 280SL (USA-Spec)
Signal Red 568G w/Black Leather (Restored)
2023 Ford Maverick Lariat Hybrid "Area 51"
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid
2023 Ford Escape Hybrid

bob hall

« Reply #29 on: July 08, 2010, 23:07:45 »
Gentlemen,
Thanks to you all.
 As luck would have it, an itinerant vintage Mercedes mechanic wandered through the neighborhood.
 He understood the problem & what I wanted to accomplish.
 To work, wires flying in all directions.  Eight hours later (as long as we are in there we might as well...) and the timing set at 10 degrees BTDC, 30 degrees OA, it starts & runs better than ever.
Finally
I'm not sorry I started this but it was a lot more expensive and time consuming that originally expected.
Good luck to those who embark upon this journey.
Bob Hall

J. Huber

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Cedar Ridge
« Reply #30 on: July 09, 2010, 03:01:01 »
First of all, Glad to hear Bob has things up and running.

Second, thanks for the leads on where to find the goods. Cees, the 123 crossed my mind right at the start of this -- I was really impressed with what you and others wrote about it. But, as far as I can tell, even though I have one of the oldest dizzies on this forum, I think it is still working well. I can only base this on the fact that I've had very few issues with ignition in many years of driving this old jalopy. Last set of points lasted years and well over 12000 miles... Never (ever) a non-start related to the dist. since George Davis helped me get past cold start issues in about 2003. And most of you guys know mine is a bona fide driver... Anyway,  I think Pertronix is my first stop, 123 or rebuild would be next...

And good luck Jaymanek!
« Last Edit: July 09, 2010, 03:14:45 by J. Huber »
James
63 230SL

Naj ✝︎

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • United Kingdom, Surrey, New Malden
« Reply #31 on: July 09, 2010, 07:57:49 »
Im really tempted by pertronix after reading so many good reviews.. Are there any UK suppliers?

Mark on Tel: 01276 65554

Its the correct tel # even though it seems one digit is missing.
Bought one off him some years ago.
I think he is the UK distributor.

naj
68 280SL

jacovdw

« Reply #32 on: July 09, 2010, 08:56:22 »
...I've had both the Bosch (16KV?) and...

The Bosch red coil is a 30 kV unit and the Bosch blue coil is a 26 kV unit.
The old black coil is a mere 13 kV...

...sometimes the idea is to "fix a problem" with electronic ignition and that is a path you probably don't want to go down.  If your distributor is worn, it will still be worn with a Pertronix, or Crane or anything else.  You have to have the ignition system working reasonably well before a change; else you are just looking for troubles.

What Michael is saying is very important.
I rebuilt the distributors on both my cars prior to changing to the Pertronix units. Although the 123 distributor is an attractive (and more expensive) alternative, I would leave that option open for much later. Having already spent the time and effort to rebuild the distributors and restored to factory specs, I'm happy for now...

mdsalemi

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, NC, Davidson
« Reply #33 on: July 09, 2010, 12:42:37 »
The Pertronix Flamethrower coil is specified at 40kV.

Those Bosch output numbers from Jaco are higher than I've seen, but I have only seen information from on-line sources, nothing from Bosch itself.

One thing I can tell you--specific to Bosch coil replacement--is there are so many of them out there, (red, blue and black) some with internal resistance, some without; some with different levels of resistance.  They are made in Germany, Spain, Mexico and Brazil.  Some sold as "Made in Germany" are not.  You really have to know what you need before you go buying one, particularly with a points system...

Just do an online search with any of the criteria "Bosch Red Coil", black, specifications, etc. and have fun reading.  A lot is from Porsche and VW forums.

Bob Hall--happy to hear you got yourself running...8 hours?  I guess I don't want to know.  The good news is you probably will stay in that running condition for a long time.  Now, if you take any long trips, best to buy a spare Pertronix and keep it in the car.  Then, since you have the spare, you'll never need it!!! :D
Michael Salemi
Davidson, North Carolina (Charlotte Area) USA
1969 280SL (USA-Spec)
Signal Red 568G w/Black Leather (Restored)
2023 Ford Maverick Lariat Hybrid "Area 51"
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid
2023 Ford Escape Hybrid