Author Topic: 68' 280SL Euro Model - Theft recovery leaves me deflated!  (Read 2989 times)

shelby427

68' 280SL Euro Model - Theft recovery leaves me deflated!
« on: September 17, 2010, 21:30:36 »
Hi Guys,

This is my first post on here. I need some advice from those who know these cars.

I bought my car near the beginning of 2009, and drove it for roughly 6 months or so before it was stolen. Due to naivety, it was not properly insured and was a total loss. Now, over 1 year later, the police called to tell me they found it and it was in decent condition, so we were very excited. I've just called around for the parts I need and I am now feeling completely deflated. The car was always driver quality, but apart from the convertible canvas it was complete with only 2 owners and 85,000 KMS. We managed to negotiate a great price when we got it. It has some rust on the floors where the front wheelwells meet the floorpans, and there is a small leak in the heater box which had been by-passed.

When it returned, the convertible frame was missing, the complete front grill, and all of the emblems on the trunk were also missing. The hood release cable was broken and where the hood catch mounts on the firewall is damaged slightly. The ignition barrel had been forced & is now broken and the drivers side headlight glass was broken. After contacting a Parts guy in MD, it seems they are all high $ items! We are not in a position to put the money into having it back the way it was, so i need to know your thoughts on the best thing to do. Keeping it and putting money into it is not an option. I'm wondering should i break it for parts, or sell it as it is? We need to re-coup as much $ as possible. Engine is solid, it has the manual 4 speed transmission, and factory alloy wheels with nearly new tires. It used to drive great. With it not going through the insurance the title is clear. I also have the paperwork from when it was imported to the US in the early 90's. I don't really have any realistic idea of what i'll be able to get back for it, that's why i'm interested in all of your expertise.

All of your input is appreciated

Shvegel

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • USA, OH, Cleveland Heights
Re: 68' 280SL Euro Model - Theft recovery leaves me deflated!
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2010, 21:27:26 »
I think your two best options are to look for a second level(dented) grill etc, skip the top frame and drive it on nice days or sell it as is on Ebay.

Speaking of Ebay you might want to search the items sold in the past few months for grilles etc sold in your area.

shelby427

Re: 68' 280SL Euro Model - Theft recovery leaves me deflated!
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2010, 00:26:28 »
I actually listed it on Ebay as-is this morning and sold it within 30 mins! I still have to wait for the money transfer to come good Monday morning. The buyer is a collector who plans to restore it, so that's made me feel a bit better about having to sell it.