Author Topic: Winter Projects: 2002 - 2003--Update  (Read 8096 times)

Tom

• Gold
  • USA, VA, Alexandria
Winter Projects: 2002 - 2003--Update
« on: March 14, 2003, 21:50:01 »
Group:

Here is a list of my winter projects posted on the Yahoo sister site and a status report.  How did others do?

1. Replace positive battery cable.  Not so easy.  Clean and replace related brackets; :D DONE

2. Remove, bead blast and repaint oil pan. Examine oil pump, screen, etc. while cover is off. Related-figure out how to install a low oil pressure alarm. :D  DONE-will publish my oil pressure alarm project in Issue 2 of The Pagoda Pages Newsletter

3. Remove and clean behind rocker panels covers. Check for rust.  :D  DONE.  Replaced rocker panel covers to freshen up the look.

4. Replace aluminum rails at floor of rocker panels;   :D  DONE

5. Figure out why my rear camber is off and fix.  :o  Not done-but there are still 6 days left of winter!!!

6. Fix small surface rust behind front headlight. :o  Not done-but still some time left!

7. Replace chrome shifter plate (Chrome is worn shows brass/copper). :D DONE-and boy does it look good and and shift well.  I also replaced the bushings inside the shifter mechanism and it shifts smooth and firm like a new car.

8. Fix hard top "rattle"-maybe caused by the white nylon cones?  :o  Not done-time running out

9. Touch up paint around brake booster-switch to silicon. :o  Not done-probably will not happen this winter

Completed and Not Planned:

Replaced carpet for 2nd time in 2 years.  Not happy with first time through quality.  GAHH product is superior to Bud's Benz.  Fit and finish is better.  I also insulated with better material-Dynamat Xtreme (foil backed rubber product) on the floor and transmission tunnel and foil backed jute over that.  I also installed the panels that go under the dash for better noise and heat insulation.  Noise reduction is remarkable.  Very pleased with the result.

How did others do on their 2002-2003 winter projects?

Best,

Tom Sargeant
1971 280sl Tunis Beige Metallic
« Last Edit: March 14, 2003, 22:07:23 by Tom »
1971 280sl Beach Driver

Cees Klumper

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, De Luz and Los Angeles
    • http://SL113.org
Re: Winter Projects: 2002 - 2003--Update
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2003, 02:05:47 »
I had planned on rebuilding my engine. Since I had no clue in that department, I asked Joe to show me how it is done by rebuilding one engine completely from start to finish. I bought two engines from someone on MBZ.org in the US and had them sent to Joe's place in Blacklick. Now we have scheduled the timeframe to do the rebuild in and it will be right before the tech session in June. We will document everything on videotape, I will take lots of pictures and I will write a manual on how it is done, so this information with all the specific tips and tricks, will be captured for posterity. The Haynes manual is pretty light on the topic, as are the other publications. I decided to do this, because too many Pagoda owners are presented with high bills for work that is, although well-intended and usually done with integrity, simply not up to standard when it comes to engine rebuilding work.

Needless to say I did not manage to do this project this winter. What I DID manage: installed a VDO quartz clock, wrestled big-time with my exhaust system which kept/keeps coming loose, and I installed a replacement (used) idle speed solenoid so now the idle on my car is the same, whether the automatic is in "neutral" or in "drive".

I also got my wheels aligned and the tires balanced. I installed a hands-free kit for my mobile phone and installed new under-dash panels (like Tom did). Last but not least: I re-organized the garage, putting in lots of shelving etc. It makes a big difference when things are accessible and organized. I had wanted to put in 3-point automatic seat belts which I bought last fall in Germany, at the Veterama, for a little over $100 for the pair (brand new, made in Germany, and looking very high-quality including all the hardware - point being I thought it was not expensive considering the improvement in comfort and safety) but this week I saw that the best way to do this will require a bit of welding (which I learnt how to do in 8 easy lessons this winter!) so I will do this when I get a chance, probably sometime in the spring.

With each minor improvement, the car is running and looking better and better - probably there are a lot of cars out there with minor things wrong that can be easily fixed, but that the owner is simply unaware of, because he cannot compare to other cars. It would be good to start compiling a list of such "common ailments" with a short diagnose & fix description.

Cees

white 1969 280 SL
Cees Klumper
1969 Mercedes 280 SL automatic
1968 Ford Mustang 302 V8
1961 Alfa Romeo Giulietta Sprint Coupe 1600
1962 FIAT 1500S OSCA convertible
1972 Lancia Fulvia Coupe 1.3
1983 Porsche 944 2.5
1990 Ford Bronco II

n/a

« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2003, 11:48:06 »
Please explain underdash panels ??

Cees Klumper

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, De Luz and Los Angeles
    • http://SL113.org
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2003, 17:08:12 »
Right below the bottom (soft rounded) part of the dashboard, above the footwells and the transmission tunnel, there are supposed to be three separate panels that cover the wiring etc., end-to-end. The replacement ones sold here are made from some type of board, covered with flat black vinyl, and on the back they have foam to aid in sound and temperature insulation. This is what Tom was referring to in his original post: "I also installed the panels that go under the dash for better noise and heat insulation. Noise reduction is remarkable. Very pleased with the result." It also makes for a 'cleaner' look. They are frequently missing on our cars. Not too expensive to buy.

Cees

white 1969 280 SL
« Last Edit: March 15, 2003, 17:09:16 by cees klumper »
Cees Klumper
1969 Mercedes 280 SL automatic
1968 Ford Mustang 302 V8
1961 Alfa Romeo Giulietta Sprint Coupe 1600
1962 FIAT 1500S OSCA convertible
1972 Lancia Fulvia Coupe 1.3
1983 Porsche 944 2.5
1990 Ford Bronco II

Richard Madison

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • USA, NY, New York
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2003, 13:42:53 »
Winter Project Report. Can it be a "Winter" project if it goes to 20 April? Yes, New York Winter weather just ended only yesterday.

Job List on a '71 280SL with radio and AC:
Installed new heater levers. Bought levers from MB. Took two of us about 6 hours. Levers look great and all the cables work.

Clock Repaired by David Lindquist, Whittier CA. Working clock, nice convenience.

ReChrome: Back bumper, light surrounds, trunk chrome bars. My rearend looks a lot nicer now. New trunk handle and trunk star from MB.

Removed instruments to send Speedo for repair.
Speedo repair by North Hollywood Speedometer. No more screeching or needle flutter. Installed new speedo cable, new dash seals, and cable firewall grommets.

New Tach cable. The new tach and speedo cables were from MB. (Did not like the less expensive modern substitute cables). No more Tach needle flutter.

Wood Trim: glued and pressed the delaminated trim end. DIY refinish and reinstall. Watch out for the driver side wood trim. Getting it out and back is a bear of a job. DIY refinish of speaker wood cover and center console. Reattached center console base to console box.

Installed missing rubber bumper between top of exhaust pipes and the body near the rear end of the twin pipes. Do you have your pipe-end bumper?

Installed the top metal plate that holds the canvas safety strap to the hood. (Kit from Ray Paul.)

All came out reasonably well. Driver wood trim is still slightly raised,  tight fit between the windshield rubber seal and the instrument binnacle. I will give it another push down when I find a proper pusher that won't split the wood.

Also, the bolt for the speedo cable at the tranny end doesn't go all the way in even when the cable pin is lined up. Can't figure out why.

Assistant and I did these jobs with limited experience and limited tools in a commercial NYC garage. You can do it too. Thanks to all who gave advice.

Happy to share experiences about any of these 'easy' projects.

Richard M
1969 280 SL, Tunis Beige, Euro Model (Italy).

n/a

« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2003, 09:37:49 »
Tom,
Where did you find the Dynamat Xtreme insulation material?
I just replaced my carpeting this weekend and most of the insulation is in excellent condition, but I could use a bit of new material, especially around the shifter.  
Thanks.

Regards,
Stan

Tom

• Gold
  • USA, VA, Alexandria
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2003, 15:43:59 »
Stan,

Most audio stores carry this product.  I bought mine at Best Buy.

Thanks

Tom
1971 280sl Beach Driver