Author Topic: Brisbane panel beater required  (Read 3598 times)

georgem

• Gold
  • Australia, Queensland, Birkdale
Brisbane panel beater required
« on: November 19, 2010, 07:07:21 »
hi,

Well, today I received the phone call that we all dread; your wife has been in an accident and the ambulance is taking her to hospital...........Luckily she was only bruised and sore but nothing else. After a short (hours) stay she is safely home.  WHEW.

Now the bad news ( I`m not saying the above was good news!). She was driving our 230Sl and hit a telegraph pole at about 50kph (30mph ish). Point of impact was on the drivers side exactly between the grill star and the light. Serious damage. I`m worried that the insurance company (Shannons) might even regard it as terminal damage. They will assess it of course, but assuming I get the go ahead, could anyone in SE Qld recommend a panel beater who they would trust with their car. (BTW if it is written off, they pay me out and let me keep the wreck, so I will still need a panel beater)

I`d post photos but its too depressing to look at.

Cheers

George
George McDonald
Brisbane
230 Sl
1973 VW Kombi Single Cab Ute
2022 Volvo XC 40 Pure (100% electric)

JamesL

• Platinum
  • United Kingdom, London, London
Re: Brisbane panel beater required
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2010, 08:32:19 »
Surely you'll get more satisfaction hitting your wife with a hammer yourself than paying someone else to do it? ;D

Glad she's OK, and sorry to hear about your car. We all dread it happening.

My wife called me "early" last Friday. As soon as the phone rang I thought "she's early, must've hada an accident". Sure enough she'd gone into the back of someone and dropped her Vespa. Most of the damage was muscular trying to keep the bike upright but it happens all to easily.  :-\ In my case a new brake lever and a front mudguard and all is well.

Sorry, can't help on the panel (wife?) beater ;)
James L
Oct69 RHD 280 in DB906 with cognac leather

reggie

• Associate Member
  • Silver
  • United Kingdom, England, Leeds
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2010, 10:05:48 »
Plenty of good cars about, Finding a good wife is a different matter, Glad she is ok -  :)
1969 280 5 speed zf 180g

hands_aus

• Platinum
  • Australia, Queensland, Brisbane
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2010, 09:00:06 »
Hey George,

How are the car repairs going?
Who did you choose?

Hope things are ok.

Cheers
Bob Smith (Brisbane,Australia)
RHD,1967 early 250 SL #114, auto, ps , 717,717
best of the best

georgem

• Gold
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2010, 20:21:56 »
Hi Bob,

We are still in the thinking about it stage. As predicted the insurance company wrote it off and are paying me out. I also own the wreck (at no cost) - Shannons have been excellent.

I have been talking to a few people - bumped into Bill de Kresta in town on Friday and he sent me a couple of recommendations so I am confident that I can get her repaired for the payout figure (hopefully and have some left over to reapholster the seats) PLUS fit headrests.

My wife is recovering well, albeit slowly - she has some symptoms of whiplash so is attending physio

Cheers

George
George McDonald
Brisbane
230 Sl

georgem

• Gold
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2010, 08:24:31 »
Guys,

Still deciding whether to restore or look for another (pagoda of course)!

My question relates to the front suspension. What commonality is there between other models of the same era for front suspension items such as the cross member, control arms etc.  We have quite a few German wreckers handy so sourcing any bits - even a complete unit shouldn`t be a problem.

Cheers

George
George McDonald
Brisbane
230 Sl