Author Topic: engine replacement from below  (Read 6071 times)

pmo956f

engine replacement from below
« on: December 02, 2010, 23:58:21 »
Am currently  rebuilding my 250 from bare shell , and was hoping to refit the engine, auto trans  and front subframe together from below to  avoid risk of damage ,

I guess this was how it was done in the factory ???

any tips or links greatly appreciated

Thanks   pmo ;)
« Last Edit: December 03, 2010, 00:13:02 by pmo956f »

stickandrudderman

• Vendor
  • Platinum
  • United Kingdom, England, Richmond
    • http://www.colinferns.com
Re: engine replacement from below
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2010, 18:06:10 »
It's not easy as the inlet manifold extends over the chassis leg and the most awkward part is connecting the throttle linkage!
The easiest way is to leave the assembled head off until you've installed the engine/sub-frame assy.
Removing and installing the head is relatively straight forward if you're competent.

scp

« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2010, 18:20:56 »
I just did this last evening.  I did it alone, however I would recommend having a helper.

I had the engine and transmission on the subframe with the wheels on.  I fabricated a steel bar to keep the wheels aligned (and steerable) and had the transmission on a low profile jack.  The car was raised on rather tall jackstands and I just rolled the engine transmission under.

At that point, I jacked up the front of the car and removed the jackstands.  I slowly lowered the jack and often checked the alignment of the frame mounts.

With everything aligned, I lowered the car enough to attach the leaf springs to the frame.  After that , slowly lowered and bolted everything together.

Lessons learned:
Attaching the top of front shock to the frame (with lower end free) helped keep everything aligned while I lowered the frame.
Make sure you have the transmission elevated enough so the cylinder head does not hit the firewall when you lower.
Be patient.

pmo956f

« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2010, 23:05:26 »
Thanks for the tips guys , i have all the manifolds off (but not the head ) already so hopefully should make things easier .

the car is totally stripped out so the body is still light and easily to move , so lifting the car is no problem .

i wonder if the steering box would be better left till last or replaced first ?

Cheers

PMO

tel76

• Associate Member
  • Gold
  • United Kingdom, Isle of Man, Douglas
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2010, 10:02:14 »
I replaced my engine the way you are proposing.
I fitted the engine and transmission onto the front axle and put the complete assy: onto a low four wheel trolley ( the trolley i used was an ex airlines one ,the type that the air hostesses use to move the food and drink cabinettes up and down the isle ).
I then raised the car at the front useing the engine crane and placed axle stands under the chassis,i required a height of 36inch.
I then rolled  the trolley,complete with engine/transmission and axle under the car,brought back the engine crane to lift the front of the car,removed the axle stands. When the whole assy: was in position and before lowering i screwed into the front axle mountings a 10inch length of threaded rod one on each side, these act as a guide for when you start to lower the body.
I had previously fitted the steering box and had no problems with it being there.
I had also previously fitted the accelerator shaft, before i fitted the engine assy; i removed it as i thought i could damage the long lever,in retrospect that could have been left on as it did not interfere with the operation.
Just one word of warning ,when you start to lower the body keep an eye on the bonnet/hood lock, the tube with the spring in came into contact with the rocker cover, i was lucky i saw it before it could cause any damage.
I carried out all the above operation single handed,it went very smoothly with no problems,i wish i could say that for all of the work.
Eric

pmo956f

« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2010, 11:07:31 »
thanks Eric

I am now confident this is the way to go , with all the tips i hope it should  be a smooth operation

Might take some photos when i do it ,  might make an interesting post !

thanks again to  all who responded

PMO ;)

Bernd

« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2010, 14:46:41 »
I welded a simple movable frame, mounted the axle on it after I rebuild, and now am in the process of assembling the engine on it. The bottom work of course needs completion before the engine is permanently mounted on the assembly. Hope to get to that in the next couple of weeks before I get going on final. The mounting bolts for the brake calipers are an easy attachment point for the axle to my frame, and the rear end is supoorted at the clutch housing.

tel76

• Associate Member
  • Gold
  • United Kingdom, Isle of Man, Douglas
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2010, 15:43:56 »
Hello Bernd,
You will have to remove the inlet manifold before you can lower the body onto your frame.
Eric

Bernd

« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2010, 00:06:30 »
Yep I am aware of that. Some items will definitely need to go on AFTER the engine/tranny block/axle assembly is in the car. Currently the intake manifold is only loosely installed. The frame solves the problem of the front wheels trying to go every which way when i roll it under the car.