Author Topic: Army Guy searches for hobby, meaning.  (Read 3856 times)

Archey

Army Guy searches for hobby, meaning.
« on: December 26, 2010, 19:56:10 »
Good Afternoon Gentleman:

I'm searching for a new hobby to relive some stresses for when I return home from the war. Everyone needs an outlet and i'm looking for mine. I work as an Ordnance officer and we deal with anything from vehicle repair, logistics, maintenance of arms and equipment and explosives. So I figure working on a vehicle is as good as any. Driving is one of my great hobbies, and sadly owned a BMW prior to this. Please don't hold it against me.

I've been eyeing a Mercedes for sometime now. I find the W113 model to be particularly beautiful. I've seen some 72' W107's, and I don't appreciate the interior like a W113.

My question is really, where to start, and how much will it cost?

What's a good price for a rust free W113, running? And what's the availability of parts?

Iconic

• Platinum
  • USA, IL, Highland Park
  • ex-Membership Administrator
Re: Army Guy searches for hobby, meaning.
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2010, 20:17:52 »
Welcome.
The best advise is to start by reading through this website. You will develop an expertise in no time.
Most any question you can think of for a while has been discussed here.
Check out the Technical Manual as well as the Forum.
Of course, you should become a full member.  ;D
You can look at COMPLETED sales in e-bay to get some idea of sales prices. Of course there are many transactions that don't happen with the aid of e-bay (mine for one).
Check the for sale area on this site. I'm sure there are some for sale here. One very nice one from a member.
Good Luck and have fun !
1970 280 SL Automatic, USA version, Grey-Blue (906G/906G), Blue leather (245)
1968 SS396 Camaro Convertible (owned since 1977 -- my first car :D)
1984 Porsche Euro Carrera coupe, LSD, SlateBlueMet/Blue
1998 BMW M-Rdstr Estoril Blue
1970 280 SL Automatic, Anthracite Grey-173G, Red Interior-132 - sold

Archey

« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2010, 00:51:39 »
Thank you. I'm looking forward to getting started.

I'm having a little trouble understanding why some of these car's can be purchased for around $10K original non-restored.

TargaNfld

« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2010, 01:09:20 »
If you let this board know your budget range, the knowledgeable folks here can tell you what to expect for that type of money, and what to avoid.

Be aware that there is "California Pagoda" .... hardtop that does come off ... but no soft top. I understand one can be retrofitted, however not worth the bother and expense.

As you will soon discover prices range from $ 10,000 to $ 100,000 .... with nice cars around $ 20,000 - $ 30,000.

Depends on what you want to do with the car, and what you can do yourself on the car.

It is a great hobby ... stay safe ... cheers from Canada

BB 

mdsalemi

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, NC, Davidson
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2010, 16:27:36 »
Thank you. I'm looking forward to getting started.

I'm having a little trouble understanding why some of these car's can be purchased for around $10K original non-restored.

An original, unrestored car for $10K, if in driving condition, will certainly have some issues that will come to surprise you at a later date.  Things such as rust--which might be so extensive that it is dangerously unrepairable.  Transmission issues, fuel system issues, etc.

The cost of repair or restoration can be very high.  For example, it is not uncommon to find an older car that might need a "workover" of the fuel injection system.  That migh require a rebuild of the FI pump ($1K); a new fuel pump from the tank ($600); new injectors (???); and a new tank itself ($1,200).  So you spend the few thousand to put it all right, and you still have a rust issue.  The good news is a lot of parts, if not most, are still available either new, repro, or used.  Bad news is they are costly, particularly the new parts.

Best bet is to follow the advice here, and start "studying" the cars for sale.  Go look at ones near to where you are.  Kick some tires, and start taking notes.
Michael Salemi
Davidson, North Carolina (Charlotte Area) USA
1969 280SL (USA-Spec)
Signal Red 568G w/Black Leather (Restored)
2023 Ford Maverick Lariat Hybrid "Area 51"
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid
2023 Ford Escape Hybrid

bogeyman

• Silver
  • USA, NE, Omaha
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2010, 19:57:37 »
Here's an example of a "fixer upper" that is approaching 10K US.

Caveat emptor...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=270682906201&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT
Rick Bogart
1970 280SL Black(040)/Parchment
1969 280SL Silver(180)/Green
1993 500E
1972 350SL
1995 E320 Cabrio